GITS 2017 SPOILERS chat

Comments

• CybernautCybernaut
    First Assault Rep: 990
    edited April 8
    UrODelA wrote: »
    Cybernaut wrote: »
    What scene was it? I'm missing the reference with the video...

...when they raid the yakuza nightclub and 'Major' is chained to the stripperpole; the boss wants her to dance and says: 'dance! unz...unz...unz...ACIEEEED!' ^^
    but you're right, it was easy to miss and i wonder how many in the audience even know this old track...

Oh, ok. That went right over my head! That scene was another one that annoyed me--a bunch of punks get the drop on the Major? Come on...
  • MidlordMidlord
    First Assault Rep: 3,085
    Member+
    edited April 9
    Oh yes. Not just a bunch of punks getting the drop on her, but she being so clumsy with her excuses to meet the boss. Come on! She would have made a thorough investigation of the establishment and got a fake story to go with it.
  • UrODelAUrODelA
    First Assault Rep: 3,290
    edited April 9
    @Cybernaut @Midlord ...you both make a good / important point here. Beside the fact, that 'Major' can move on a stripperpole but other (fight-) movements seem oddly out of place - what is the deal with her conditioning? If she really is just a snatched runaway with supressed memories, why don't explain the rest of her 'mind / brain setup' - how can she be a leader of a tactical team with the rank of Major in such a short time...but is she even? What a can or worms, is Batou really the 'Sarge', or is this another 'label' or nickname? Is this just a bunch of amateur brutes with fictitious ranks & titles and no military background at all? I know, this may look like i would overthink this too much, but at least the (different ^^ ) source material was always (somewhat)clear about the members service records, positions & value in the team. Here the 'operations' don't seem professional or tactical, but like you already mentioned; clumsy and not thought through. So why am i nitpicking on this; someone thought it would be a good idea to dumb down all of what is GitS to make it easier to digest - by putting old backstories, new ideas,names, ranks, nicks, organisations and institutions into a blender. Well done! Much easier to understand the 'stumbling heavy armed frightened brainwashed little girl-robot' on screen.
    Midlord
  • CybernautCybernaut
    First Assault Rep: 990
    edited April 9
    UrODelA wrote: »
    @Cybernaut @Midlord ...you both make a good / important point here. Beside the fact, that 'Major' can move on a stripperpole but other (fight-) movements seem oddly out of place - what is the deal with her conditioning? If she really is just a snatched runaway with supressed memories, why don't explain the rest of her 'mind / brain setup' - how can she be a leader of a tactical team with the rank of Major in such a short time...but is she even? What a can or worms, is Batou really the 'Sarge', or is this another 'label' or nickname? Is this just a bunch of amateur brutes with fictitious ranks & titles and no military background at all? I know, this may look like i would overthink this too much, but at least the (different ^^ ) source material was always (somewhat)clear about the members service records, positions & value in the team. Here the 'operations' don't seem professional or tactical, but like you already mentioned; clumsy and not thought through. So why am i nitpicking on this; someone thought it would be a good idea to dumb down all of what is GitS to make it easier to digest - by putting old backstories, new ideas,names, ranks, nicks, organisations and institutions into a blender. Well done! Much easier to understand the 'stumbling heavy armed frightened brainwashed little girl-robot' on screen.

You're not overthinking it at all, those are things that the people making the movie should have thought of. As I said before, even a dumbed-down movie that was just about the action would have been better than what we got, if the characters made sense.
    UrODelAMidlord