Melee is plain painful

iterationiteration
First Assault Rep: 440
edited April 16 in Suggestions and Feedback
As a infiltration\assault player I often find myself in pretty complex situations like 2 bullets in SMG, empty clip in a pistol and all i have is a melee. Currently melee has 2 problems: hard to understand when it should actually hits, because animation takes some time, second: you still need pinpoint accuracy to hit anything.
2 solutions: make melee proc in a wider timeframe and let it hit with a cone of at least 10-15 degrees. It can even hit secondary target if it's within the arc for smaller damage.

Otherwise it is quite useless, even more useless than pistols. It's kind of funny how description for double katar says its super effective in melee, when it's mostly impossible to hit anything with it, rather than standing afk targets.

Comments

• VenkmanVenkman
    First Assault Rep: 7,310
    Member, Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited April 17
    Melee improvements have been talked about before, especially when it comes to the animation. Thank you for your input, I will pass this along.
  • SteveDinoSteveDino
    First Assault Rep: 1,755
    Member+
    edited April 20
    I agree that melee should work on a damage arc rather then with a target like the guns.
  • ChickenBeakChickenBeak
    First Assault Rep: 350
    edited April 22
    How about different melee weapons with different properties? Like small, fast weapons that require precision, versus big, slow weapons that hit in a big arc but take a while to land a hit? I imagine a lot of creative possibilities could be thought up. :)
  • iterationiteration
    First Assault Rep: 440
    edited April 27
    How about different melee weapons with different properties? Like small, fast weapons that require precision, versus big, slow weapons that hit in a big arc but take a while to land a hit? I imagine a lot of creative possibilities could be thought up. :)
    I think regardless of weapon speed it should have small arc for fast weapons or big arc (if it's a sword, for example) for slow weapons. Problem with shooters is, the closer you are to the enemy, the faster enemy moves in your sight range. I.e. on long distance (20-30 meters from you) 1 meter movement is merely a motion near your crosshair, while on hand-to-hand distance 1 meter is enough to move out of your sight range, i.e. making it really easy to dodge in close combat. If you fight in close combat pretty often, even running near enemy in circles makes it really hard to hit you.
    Parameters which might be modified are:
    - Size of arc
    - time window of animation, when arc will proc hit
    - attack speed
    - depth of the arc, i.e. distance (how far from the enemy you should be to deal damage
    - damage fall off, how damage is changed if you hit in touch distance or weapons maximum distance (same way with ranged weapons)

I think melee weapons might have some buffs which define their playstyle:
    - Side-to-side movement speed boost
    - general movement speed boost
    - chance to dodge bullet when wielding melee
    - Stun or graze effect on hit
    - graze effect mitigation
    - Movement speed increase on swing

Imagine katana, which has slow attack speed, but makes you dash forward on attack, allowing you to use this dash to dodge or reach enemy faster.

This is partly defined by chips, but if weapons would have their specific properties, which define playstyle, might be interesting.

I also mentioned riot shield - it might be a melee weapon, which has 95% damage reduction when hit on front, and attack might be slow, but have a stun effect, turning shiend into a good counter to stale-mate and bottle-neck situations
  • hotmatrixxhotmatrixx
    First Assault Rep: 1,470
    edited May 11
    Huh. Iteration. you a Blacklight retribution player? that's literally oll in there; plus the shield is deployable.