Auto-balance improvements?

SerPounceSerPounce
First Assault Rep: 310
edited April 16 in Suggestions and Feedback
Maybe it's different at higher levels, but among us newbs there seems to be a huge discrepancy with the auto-balance feature. Sometimes both sides are pretty evenly matched (and that's when this game is the most fun) but most times it's very lopsided, either for me or against me, and I'm not a fan of either. What exactly is factored to determine how to balance a team? I've tried various searches but maybe I'm using the wrong parameters because I can't find anything definitive about it (or I may have missed it in an obvious location; I'll admit I have a habit of missing the obvious, so I apologize ahead of time if I'm doing so now).

Anyway, I have some suggestions on how it should be calculated, dunno if this is possible or whatever from a programming standpoint (or if it would slow the process down too much). I think we should all have a score compilation. The score should be a combination of the following, in no particular order:

Our average match score for the past month
Our accuracy percentage for the past month
Our K/D ratio for the past month

There could be more info added to this, and the key would be how much each factor is weighed, and/or if they are multiplied to form a total. When I say "for the past month" I really mean 4 weeks (I think it would be easier that way but I could be wrong), as well as the last month they played in case they stopped playing the game for a few months and then returned, their score will be for the last 4 weeks they had actually played. The 4 weeks is to help take into account their current level of skill, which to me is a more accurate metric as opposed to including the months/years it took them to reach their present level. There could be further adjustments such as taking into consideration the type of weapons they tend to use, because a skilled player who predominantly uses a sniper rifle may have a far higher accuracy percentage than someone that prefers assault rifles or sub-machine guns or what have you, but I want to stress "may" because I'm not sure about that, especially for players at higher tiers.

There's also a wildcard that auto-balance probably can't do much about: when others dive into a mission in progress. They can really turn the tide of a mission if they're really skilled (or really bad haha).

If you think this wouldn't work at all or if you have any ideas as to how this metric could be improved, I'd appreciate your opinion and reasoning. Whether the devs decide to go this route or not (it could be that auto-balance already does this but may need some tweaking), I think the input could help me to understand this game a little better as well. Thanks for your time.

Comments

• VenkmanVenkman
    First Assault Rep: 7,225
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited April 17
    Autobalance is still not perfect by any means, it has been brought up before, but thank you for your post/input. I believe the DEV team is working on something, I am not sure, but they are certainly aware of the issue.
  • SerPounceSerPounce
    First Assault Rep: 310
    edited April 17
    Venkman wrote: »
    Autobalance is still not perfect by any means, it has been brought up before, but thank you for your post/input. I believe the DEV team is working on something, I am not sure, but they are certainly aware of the issue.

Okay cool, thanks!
    Venkman
  • Bittah_CommanderBittah_Commander
    First Assault Rep: 1,870
    edited April 18
    I believe the auto balance system currently just takes your overall K/D ratio into account and that's indeed a lot more flawed than only taking someone's recent K/D ratio into account. I'm not sure why accuracy matters though, because players with good accuracy usually also have a high KDR to begin with.

So I think it'd actually be better to take recent KDR and the average number of kills per match into account and tracking different stats per game mode (because someone who's good at TDM could very well suck at Demolition or vice-versa).
    SerPouncePandarkvador