Weapon suggestion: proximity mines

SerPounceSerPounce
First Assault Rep: 310
edited April 16 in Suggestions and Feedback
It's a weapon that I used to love back in the days of Quake. I know there's already been suggestions for "sticky" grenades, I'd just like to add one more possible aspect to it if no one else has mentioned it.

First of all I think it would be a big help for us to see the actual arc when we've equipped any kind of throwing weapon, at least up to a certain point (similar to the arcs we see when a teammate throws a grenade), to help us determine roughly where the throwing weapon will land. For the sticky grenades I think the arc should be more detailed, so we can see where exactly they'd land when we toss them (or even put them on a wall or floor or ceiling that we're facing, as long as we are given a few seconds to get away before they go active hehe). Then give them something like 5 or maybe even 10 second timers. If anyone walks into their detection radius (they should be visible to anyone on your team, including their detection radius, although they can set them off as well if they're not careful) the mine explodes immediately, otherwise it'll explode after the timer has run out.

This way if you see some enemies headed your way you can set a nasty little surprise for them. Perhaps there can be one or more ways to counter them, such as making them targetable by seeker drones (or maybe the drones can inadvertently set them off as they go by) and/or detectable by a well-placed cyber sentry and/or a Tachikoma. Maybe they can even be set off by a regular grenade that lands close enough. It's a matter of finding balance where they're not too OP but can be devastating if used well, and yes I realize that's easier said than done hehe.

Comments

• VenkmanVenkman
    First Assault Rep: 7,225
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited April 17
    Thanks for the suggestion! I always loved proximity mines :)
    SerPounce
  • SteveDinoSteveDino
    First Assault Rep: 1,755
    Member+
    edited April 20
    To follow up with this idea, if damage proximity mines seem to overpowered being able to set a scrambler or flash mine would also be cool as well.
    SerPounce
  • AlmalexionAlmalexion
    First Assault Rep: 2,220
    edited April 20
    They should be explodeable if they hit by a bullet too or grenade, otherwise they gonna be op ! Game is allready sufferin' from the tight corridors, they easly useable for blockin' the certain corridors and trap people in there ! And they should be activated and damage/kill no matter who passes, enemy or friend ! They must mostly have tactical and surprise value !
    SerPouncePandarkvador
  • SerPounceSerPounce
    First Assault Rep: 310
    edited April 20
    Almalexion wrote: »
    They should be explodeable if they hit by a bullet too or grenade, otherwise they gonna be op ! Game is allready sufferin' from the tight corridors, they easly useable for blockin' the certain corridors and trap people in there ! And they should be activated and damage/kill no matter who passes, enemy or friend ! They must mostly have tactical and surprise value !

I agree with all your points (and with SteveDino's ideas), I'd just like to say that they shouldn't be TOO easy to spot or else they'd be almost useless. But yeah, in fact I think being able to see them (if you look carefully) and shoot them is a great idea, from both a realistic and balanced standpoint.