what cutting edge optimization looks like

P4prik4P4prik4
First Assault Rep: 2,855
edited April 18 in General Chat
top of reddit today: https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/65zr3h/heres_whats_happening_in_horizon_zero_dawn_every

in FA , it could work but you'd have to have area behind you rendered at very low graphic setting. so you could still play if for some reason you do a 180 faster than it would have time to render.
I know the source engine is also great for allowing you to not render area hidden behind walls / aren't in line of sight.
http://www.tophattwaffle.com/hammer-tutorial-v2-series-21-optimization

Idk how gamebryo works but these are the things this game needs.

things within 12 feet of you could be well rendered all around or at least medium quality behind you.
SHODANX

Comments

• AlmalexionAlmalexion
    First Assault Rep: 2,230
    edited April 18
    Only the Lightspeed version have optimisation called simplygon. If they added this to their engine (if it's lightspeed version), they can optimise the game at least (but I heard it's not so very effective, very primitive one). Also for other API techs, they need to add them to their engine with talkin' to the sellers or gettin' the modifyable licence... Yeah, as engine, it's a terrible choice. Good lookin' but not so flexible. Even if it's selled so much, wonder what did they do with moneys anyways. It doesn't getting upgrades or new versions with other API integrated...
  • MrDeapMrDeap
    First Assault Rep: 910
    edited April 18
    The game is light on the GPU, the problem isn't graphic related nor something about graphic optimization. All the HD audio, voice chat, network, physic, AI(Tachikoma), animation are all on a single core for the CPU.

• P4prik4P4prik4
    First Assault Rep: 2,855
    edited April 18
    MrDeap wrote: »
    The game is light on the GPU, the problem isn't graphic related nor something about graphic optimization. All the HD audio, voice chat, network, physic, AI(Tachikoma), animation are all on a single core for the CPU.
    this must vary by system because all all my cores work fine when I play the game and I play it exclusively off my intel 4000 hd cpu graphics.
    At least they aren't being overloaded since the temperatures do not show any core being more stressed than others.

For me I notice a drop in frames in TC maps and particularly in l arge high traffic spaces. the new DR for example runs a few frames slower.
    best map for me are Geofront, PSS9 and Dejima they run very smooth.

SHODANX
  • USAINBOLTUSAINBOLT
    First Assault Rep: 1,485
    edited April 18
    P4prik4 wrote: »
    For me I notice a drop in frames in TC maps

yep in every TC map my fps randomly goes from 144 to 50
    SHODANXho1y
  • SHODANXSHODANX
    First Assault Rep: 1,015
    edited April 20
    TC maps are too big and have far too long lines of sight. Thus, the player sees to many polygons at a time.

A more simple solution would be to have fog but it's a really outdated concept.

Also the tachikomas and grenades spam cause big fps drops.
    ho1y