Togusa is not a Sniper

HarnischHarnisch
First Assault Rep: 665
edited July 11 in Operatives
I see better Togusa as an assault or infiltrator not a sniper, lauching drone from afar can be effective but it's better when you do it behind covers and wall, creating more shock in the enemy.
JankenOniHarusamePandarkvador
  1. What kind of class should be Togusa?29 votes
    1. Assault
       41% (12 votes)
    2. Infiltrator
       38% (11 votes)
    3. Sniper
       21% (6 votes)

Comments

• Duken13Duken13
    First Assault Rep: 2,700
    edited July 11
    It makes more sense to have Maven be sniper behind her wall and have Togusa be infiltrator instead.
    porcofonho1ySgtRicoMidlordPandarkvadoravarakeRagnarok013
  • HarnischHarnisch
    First Assault Rep: 665
    edited July 11
    Duken13 wrote: »
    It makes more sense to have Maven be sniper behind her wall and have Togusa be infiltrator instead.

Agree
    Pandarkvador
  • CusashornCusashorn
    First Assault Rep: 6,980
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited July 11
    Here's how they turn Togusa into an infiltrator:

1. Make Maven the support, since her wall is designed for sniping.

2. Reduce the damage of Togusa's drones to something minimal. Keep the scrambler effect. This will help flush out enemies and reveal their locations. Also change the speed back to how it currently is (Players can outrun it for balance purposes.)

3. The T2 should still be lethal.

That's it. The reason they moved Togusa to support is because they want him using his drones only from across the map. Using them up close has been borderline abusive, but if you nerf the damage of the drone and divert their utility to stun and reveal the enemies, it fits more in line. I even pointed this out in the last live stream.
  • JankenJanken
    First Assault Rep: 980
    edited July 12
    Also by the lore, Togusa doesn't use a sniper... Snipers are by far one of the most if not the most trained soldier there is. Togusa is a ex police officer. In the anime he is seen only using a handgun or a sub machine gun ( episode 19, he grabbed from floor), never a sniper.... he doesn't have the proper training for it...his skills rely elsewhere. Thought this was a GITS FPS game not another random FPS.
    porcofonHonza222Pandarkvador
  • USAINBOLTUSAINBOLT
    First Assault Rep: 1,485
    edited July 13
    yes i know everyone wants to retain the easymode gameplay of "deploy drone, follow drone to enemies that either kill you or the drone but cant do both, repeat" instead of getting some gamesense themselves
  • CusashornCusashorn
    First Assault Rep: 6,980
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited July 13
    USAINBOLT wrote: »
    yes i know everyone wants to retain the easymode gameplay of "deploy drone, follow drone to enemies that either kill you or the drone but cant do both, repeat" instead of getting some gamesense themselves

And why not? Why not allow one of the characters to develop a play style that involves using their skills to lead them to their enemy?

We already have one operative who disappears.
    One operative who nearly disappears and can let others do the same.
    One operative who can heal his allies, allowing them greater survivability as they approach the enemy.
    One operative who can stun his enemies with an EMP..
    One operative who can reveal the enemy's location and allow others to do the same.
    One operative who can let his allies reach the enemy really fast.
    One operative who can zone enemies with a turret.
    Another operative who can manually zone enemies with a flying drone and flush them out into the open.

Now, Togusa's drones are supposed to flush enemies out so he can snipe them, but why not let them lead him to his enemies directly? Just remove the damage the drone can do at T1, and keep the speed the same as it currently is right now. Let the drones be lethal at T2, but let the players be happy with the lore of the game and have Togusa NOT use a sniper rifle.
    iiShanporcofonJankenVeldrinGoreSmittenPandarkvador
  • iiShaniiShan
    First Assault Rep: 4,800
    edited July 13
    As a Maven player, I use the wall to assist my allies and secure hallways, protect snipers/long ranged players, and keep the map pushed in. I don't know how I feel about her being a full on sniper only support as that only leads to less of a chance getting that wall pushed up (especially now that tier 2 gives a HUGE wall) but I will admit Togusa shouldn't be put in the sniper category. As said already, he IS a push class, using the drones to make camping enemies move or hunt them down. There is still skill in following the drones, as well as using those drones to gauge if an enemy Togusa is following behind. So in all, if Maven and Togusa switched, I wouldn't be put off by it at all.
    porcofonVeldrinRagnarok013
  • USAINBOLTUSAINBOLT
    edited July 14
    Cusashorn wrote: »
    Now, Togusa's drones are supposed to flush enemies out so he can snipe them, but why not let them lead him to his enemies directly?

because if done correctly there is no counterplay, you have no time to kill both drone and player because of drones having 1 pixel hitboxes and like 100 hp

non-sniper togusa would only be balanced if drones never do any damage and only act as flashbangs

following drones to enemy is this game's equivalent to CoD's Martyrdom, at close ranges if you die the enemy dies too no matter what they do and playerskill has nothing to do with it
  • Duken13Duken13
    First Assault Rep: 2,700
    edited July 14
    I think someone is just salty because he gets killed by drones a lot.

If you don't want to deal with both drone and enemy, just run back (w/knife obviously), shoot the drone, then wait for the enemy to come.
    I've never had to deal with both at the same time.
    iiShanJankenVeldrinHonza222PandarkvadorRagnarok013
  • USAINBOLTUSAINBOLT
    edited July 14
    I think someone is just salty because he gets killed by drones a lot.

If you don't want to deal with both drone and enemy, just run back (w/knife obviously), shoot the drone, then wait for the enemy to come.
    I've never had to deal with both at the same time.

"never happened to me, working as intended"
  • KnightLDRKnightLDR
    First Assault Rep: 1,020
    edited July 15
    He should be support, just unable to equip sniper rifles.

In the anime he was there as support, as someone with the least cybernetic implants he brought a new perspective and as a regular cop a different way to approach investigations.

Infiltrator makes little sense, he's no spy/assassin like Motoko , assault even less he's not special forces like Batou so support it is!

Maybe limit him to the PDW weapons, the PP-2200 and the KA-P5W.

But there we hit a game play problem, while it would make perfect sense in lore , it would limit the character in game which is not something I think they would ever do, or should do.

If it personally bothers you too much equip him only with the PP-2200 or the KA-P5W, that would keep it lore accurate.
  • ho1yho1y
    First Assault Rep: 910
    edited July 17

^this! pleeease
  • VeldrinVeldrin
    First Assault Rep: 4,090
    edited July 18

Maven would be even more a defensive player with restricted to sniper rifles. I don’t like it. I sometimes use a sniper rifle, but assault rifles and SMGs are my most uses weapons, so it would not satisfy me. Maven as support? I would stop playing Maven and maybe ditch the game in general. You need to be at the front to be useful for your team! Even a Maven player has to be aggressive. You can do this with sniper rifles if you are outstanding good with it or your enemies are not good, and i pusjh with sniper rifle if i have to, of course, but getting restricted to this class, ruin Maven.
  • VeldrinVeldrin
    edited July 18
    Cusashorn wrote: »

And why not? Why not allow one of the characters to develop a play style that involves using their skills to lead them to their enemy?

We already have one operative who disappears.
    One operative who nearly disappears and can let others do the same.
    One operative who can heal his allies, allowing them greater survivability as they approach the enemy.
    One operative who can stun his enemies with an EMP..
    One operative who can reveal the enemy's location and allow others to do the same.
    One operative who can let his allies reach the enemy really fast.
    One operative who can zone enemies with a turret.
    Another operative who can manually zone enemies with a flying drone and flush them out into the open.

Now, Togusa's drones are supposed to flush enemies out so he can snipe them, but why not let them lead him to his enemies directly? Just remove the damage the drone can do at T1, and keep the speed the same as it currently is right now. Let the drones be lethal at T2, but let the players be happy with the lore of the game and have Togusa NOT use a sniper rifle.

Totally second this. Instead of restrict operatives within classes, better alter their skills. Yes Togusa drones are considered weak in pre-2.0. But WHAT is the problem? You just have to use the drones with tactic and you can do well with it. No need to buff the drones, just allow Togusa to use all weapons again.
    PandarkvadorRagnarok013
  • VeldrinVeldrin
    edited July 18

Easymode? Togusa is not top tear in pre 2.0. It was balanced. At least Togusa was balanced. Only because the devs did not manage to balance Borma, Saito (maybe) and Motoko and some weapons Togusa have to altered. That's just…

Besides you play PAZ as main? How do YOU have problems with Togusa anyway? That's just LOL.
    PandarkvadorRagnarok013
  • GoreSmittenGoreSmitten
    First Assault Rep: 355
    edited July 21

IMHO, I think Sniper Maven was quite broken and had very little counterplay. The only way to take out a single, lone sniper Maven was through a coordinated push requiring multiple team mates. Of course, you can still have a Sniper sit with Maven, or Maven pick up a sniper from a body, but in both cases, this either requires a coordinated effort on your part, or to earn it.

If Sniper Maven were to return then her ability would require a nerf consequently.
  • PandarkvadorPandarkvador
    First Assault Rep: 985
    edited August 17
    IMHO, I think Sniper Maven was quite broken and had very little counterplay. The only way to take out a single, lone sniper Maven was through a coordinated push requiring multiple team mates. Of course, you can still have a Sniper sit with Maven, or Maven pick up a sniper from a body, but in both cases, this either requires a coordinated effort on your part, or to earn it.

Maven in sniper is not so hard to kill :
    Flash/frag/smoke grenade, rush, dead.
    Togusa/Sitara drone, rush, dead.
    Motoko cloak, rush, dead.
    EMP, rush, dead.
    Veldrin
  • VeldrinVeldrin
    edited August 19
    Except your enemy listen to the name Lauren, then you're fooked hihi. (One of) the best Maven sniper i saw ingame.
  • DharionDharion
    First Assault Rep: 1,520
    edited August 19
    Lore aside.. he is fine as a sniper. Snipers in this game need to move.. staying stationary kills you 90% of the time. drones help A LOT. t1 is good for showing the closest player and which side you need to focus on, while T2 has good reach. Granted i only played TDM, so might be different from other modes, but with the PDW classes, he still has good drone effectiveness.

Ever since 1.0, togusa has been one of the weakest operatives, his drones are near useless unless you use them as a distraction.
    He just requires a specific playstyle.

Side note, i only play togusa (with a sniper, initially M99D, now SA50 in 2.0), I did in 1.0, I did in 2.0, and I top scored most of the time.
  • Exeterman79Exeterman79
    First Assault Rep: 1,550
    edited August 19
    I think some of you guys are getting this all wrong about Togusa. If you recall, he's not someone with a military background like the others are, he was a police detective, he didn't have military training. Police officers are given training on the use of weapons like sniper rifles and personal defense weapons. And to add to that lore wise, he's not a complete cyborg (Only a cyberbrain) Therefore, making him anything else wouldn't make sense.
    Chobe