What should 2.0 have been?

GIJeffGIJeff
First Assault Rep: 505
edited July 20 in General Chat
By now the community has expressed their thoughts and feelings about the new update. Reading through the mess, I have started wondering just what the community actually wanted from a new release. So, what do you guys think should have been added or changed in 2.0?

First, some ground rules:

1. The biggest requests have been for improved netcode and hitreg, basically performance improvements. For this post we will assume that the US Nexon team cannot fix these things. They will put out incremental improvements (like I assume they did in the actual 2.0), but these issues will still remain.

2. Saying: "They shouldn't have released an update at all" does not count for this discussion. We are going to assume that 2.0 was inevitable in one form or another, and focus on what we would have wanted them to add.

3. No salt. People on both sides of the aisle have strong feelings about the matter, and this isn't the place to hash them out.

Here are some I thought of:

1. New hacking mechanics

-One thing I always wondered in TC was why we had this big-ass high-tech-looking computer tower thingie, and all we could do is just stand near it to "capture" it. I mean, part of the cool factor were those little bits like the "net-dive" mode before each round and the Skill-Syncing that made you feel like your were in some kind of cyber-world (well, for a moment at least). This was even more so in the Ghost Assault mode, with the ability to hack a fallen enemy's "cyber-brain" and go into a net-dive (yup, this mechanic did exist before Reiko came along, although with a few differences). These were just minor features that hinted at what could be done with the hacking and interconectivity concepts that have been barely developed.

-Thus, using TC as an example:

-I would add the ability for one player to hang back and connect to the previously captured terminal and provide passive buffs to their teammates. Killing said player or EMPing the terminal would remove the buffs.

-I would add additional terminals scattered throughout the map that can be hacked to control environmental features like lights, doors, barriers, turrets, etc. These can also be counterhacked or EMPed to disable them entirely. Imagine a night level where players can disable lights, or an indoor map where chokepoints can be changed by closing/opening doors.

-Heck, I'd go for a hackable object that did something as simple as giving me additional Intel. Just little ways of interacting with the environment to improve your chances.

2. Additional weapon customization

-The weapons customization is one feature I've enjoyed greatly, and have been motivated to experiment with different configurations. I'd love to see the attachments roster expanded, and new features like ammunition types added. Imagine being able to equip your pistol with anti-tachi rounds or other special ammunition. I'd also like to see more decorative attachment variants that cost less after you own one (i.e. compensators).

-I remember an old discussion where players pointed out how ridiculous the bipods were, both in looks and realistic function. Thus, I would replace the bipods with a futuristic "stabilizer pod" that would mount in the same position. The function would remain the same.

-Taking a page from Team Fortress 2, I'd add a new category of weapon attachments that do not affect its stats but track various stats (kills, headshots, etc.). Since guns are a HUGE part of the game, why not allow people to show off their pink-and-gold 1000-headshot M4A1?

3. More tachikomas/anti-tachi weapons

-In the show, Section 9 generally avoided trying to take on vehicles with just their small arms when possible. Thus, I'd create a mode that adds a heavier tachikoma class, more summonable tachikomas, and anti-tachikoma weapons like a rocket launcher or the Seburo AT rifle.

4. New game modes

-Two words: Ghost Assault. This mode was unique enough to give the game something other F2P FPSs don't have, and while it wasn't something I played all the time it was very enjoyable when I did. It also gave the regular game the Headquarters map, Cyborg player models, and the Net-diving mechanic. I'd go ahead and release it as it was, adding in changes later or as people demanded them.

-I often invented little games using the parkour points in the maps during Dive mode, like see-sawing on a barrier or speedrunning to the other side of the map. Thus, I would add a non-combat parkour running mode with timed maps focusing on scaling and moving around obstacles. I'd start it small and expand it if people showed interest.
MidlordiiShanWootwoot

Comments

• CycatrixCycatrix
    First Assault Rep: 995
    edited July 20
    While I think you have some nice ideas I think they have more important things to consider at the moment than a time trail. They threw their whole game around.
    Ghost assault was fun but the biggest problem I had with it is that often you would just stand on objects to try and mess up the knife execute lockon, rather than being about inventive hiding and teamwork. The mode was really unique and fun but the execution was lacking
    avarake
  • GIJeffGIJeff
    edited July 20
    @Cycatrix:

1. My post assumes they did not release 2.0 as it currently is. This post is to discuss what they should have done instead.
    2. Ghost Assault most definitely needed tweaking, but was more than playable as it was. Releasing as is and making changes as they went would have been better for the playerbase.
  • iiShaniiShan
    First Assault Rep: 4,800
    edited July 20
    GIJeff wrote: »
    -I would add the ability for one player to hang back and connect to the previously captured terminal and provide passive buffs to their teammates. Killing said player or EMPing the terminal would remove the buffs.

-I would add additional terminals scattered throughout the map that can be hacked to control environmental features like lights, doors, barriers, turrets, etc. These can also be counterhacked or EMPed to disable them entirely. Imagine a night level where players can disable lights, or an indoor map where chokepoints can be changed by closing/opening doors.

-Heck, I'd go for a hackable object that did something as simple as giving me additional Intel. Just little ways of interacting with the environment to improve your chances.

Now this would be really interesting. Imagine, Borma would be the best candidate for hacking the terminal due to his HP. Not to mention, it opens up more options for future operatives or weapon types to combat security, and imagine if it were slightly different per map. Heck, maybe it'd even open up new game modes. We need more hacking anyway.
  • Ragnarok013Ragnarok013
    First Assault Rep: 1,020
    edited July 21
    Cycatrix wrote: »
    While I think you have some nice ideas I think they have more important things to consider at the moment than a time trail. They threw their whole game around.
    Ghost assault was fun but the biggest problem I had with it is that often you would just stand on objects to try and mess up the knife execute lockon, rather than being about inventive hiding and teamwork. The mode was really unique and fun but the execution was lacking

I think that the OP stating that 2.0 was inevitable, even for the sake of discussion is short sighted. What I would have wanted were:
    1. Incremental changes to 1.0 focusing on game stability, and better graphics for those of us not playing on potatoes even if it was an optional separate download texture pack like we saw with the Skyrim: Hi res texture pack on Steam. This would have been preferable to shaking up the etcha-sketch with 2.0 and losing what made GiTS fun in 1.0.
    2. Focus on implementing community requested quality of life changes such as better anti-cheat and reporting\enforcement system, a simple, clear and intuitive UI that minimizes the number of clicks to get to any screen instead of adding to the already large number of clicks required coupled with a confusing 2.0 UI. I know you don't want to hear it but better hit reg is a must, and the addition of optional ping limiters for people that set up custom game rooms, and possible custom weapon configs for created matches such as limiting or deactivating specific weapon categories such as shotties, snipers, etc would be welcome features too.
    3. I want a better melee system. The melee system in GiTS is one of the weaker features of the game in my opinion. The melee system in the Battlefield franchise feels much more intuitive to me, in essence it's line up behind your target and hit "F" instead of line up behind your target and right RMB and then immediately thereafter LMB. Melee improvements would help on the Ghost Assault game mode which was a fun mode, but the spotty melee system really detracted from it a lot.
    4. I'd rather get more direct purchase content on the marketplace than fall into the loot box trap that every game from FIFA,to Battlefield, Overwatch, and many others have nowadays. Technically this is a pre-2.0 criticism but a point of contention nonetheless.
    5. I'm dying to know what the Ghost screen will do! :-)
    6. I think that the class system should never have been implemented and the associated weapon restrictions as well should never have been implemented. I play a lot of shooters, and freedom of choice regarding play style was one of the strongest points of GiTS and one of the things that kept me playing. I love the Ghost in the Shell anime and manga, but the IP alone isn't enough to keep me coming back and playing 2.0 GiTS which to me has lost almost all of the fun that 1.0 delivered.
    7. TDM should be available in the exact way it was in 1.0. Elimination lacks the energetic fun that TDM had and limiting the maps for TDM only makes the situation worse.
    8. Better pistol balancing. The Mateba is still a joke despite being one of the iconic pistols in the franchise. Pistols in general should be a viable go to weapon when you run into an enemy but your primary weapon is empty and you don't have time to reload.
    9. The ability to change your loadout in between spawns (similar to what Battlefield uses) would have been great, but now in 2.0 we're limited to three pre-defined load outs based on classes (and my custom load outs kept resetting to the basic weapons if I picked up a kit from the floor or switched operatives mid-fight). So instead of having the freedom to choose different types of weapons with different weapon load outs in the same weapon class for different tactical situations we're stuck.
    avarake
  • GIJeffGIJeff
    edited July 23
    You've earned a response.
    I think that the OP stating that 2.0 was inevitable, even for the sake of discussion is short sighted.

If so, that is more reflective on the devs than it is on me. They apparently believed 2.0 was needed, and unlike us they have a fuller picture of the player population. As it was, the game had one foot in the grave. That part shouldn't change too much if all the worst predictions come true about 2.0.

I like the ideas you put forward, although I still don't see them as adding enough to warrant the title of 2.0. There is one I wanted to address in particular:
    16. The ability to change your loadout in between spawns (similar to what Battlefield uses) would have been great, but now in 2.0 we're limited to three pre-defined load outs based on classes (and my custom load outs kept resetting to the basic weapons if I picked up a kit from the floor or switched operatives mid-fight). So instead of having the freedom to choose different types of weapons with different weapon load outs in the same weapon class for different tactical situations we're stuck.

What you're describing sounds like a serious bug on your end, as I switch operatives mid-game with no issues. Also, you do have the ability to change characters and the weapons for said characters easily in the waiting room. They finally made it easy, then greatly reduced the time spent in the waiting room. Urgh.

Anyway, what you've said you wanted is there, just poorly implemented.

• CybernautCybernaut
    First Assault Rep: 1,055
    edited October 25
    Digging up an old thread here. I had not played 2.0 until I came back to the game after they emailed about the closure. . I get why people would be irritated if they spent time/money unlocking weapons and then weren't able to use them with the preferred character any more.

All that aside, I personally don't see that much difference in the gameplay. As always, there's one character that everyone seems to favor, and for those still playing it seems to be Sitara.
  • WeilanWeilan
    First Assault Rep: 1,645
    edited October 25
    Cybernaut wrote: »
    Digging up an old thread here. I had not played 2.0 until I came back to the game after they emailed about the closure. . I get why people would be irritated if they spent time/money unlocking weapons and then weren't able to use them with the preferred character any more.

All that aside, I personally don't see that much difference in the gameplay. As always, there's one character that everyone seems to favor, and for those still playing it seems to be Sitara.

The game feels a lot different to me, keeping in mind I spent above 700 hours on it, mostly on 1.0. The game was never balanced, there was always some character/weapon that was OP and they only nerfed it and buffed something else, so the game was never well balanced. For example, Batou, my favorite character, he was mediocre at best, in 2.0 beta, he was still mediocre, in 2.0 final, they made him OP to the point where it's not even fun. 1.0 Batou was a badass and I kicked a lot of ass with him.

Also the restricted weapons - at first I thought it was good, but then I missed the quirky combinations I had, it's just not fun anymore. 2.0 FA reminds me of Dirty Bomb and how limited the weapon selection is - almost non-existant.

2.0 is bad, period. I'm not sure I know of anyone who played from day one and liked 2.0 better than 1.0.
    CybernautavarakeRagnarok013
  • CybernautCybernaut
    edited October 25
    Weilan wrote: »
    The game feels a lot different to me, keeping in mind I spent above 700 hours on it, mostly on 1.0. The game was never balanced, there was always some character/weapon that was OP and they only nerfed it and buffed something else, so the game was never well balanced. For example, Batou, my favorite character, he was mediocre at best, in 2.0 beta, he was still mediocre, in 2.0 final, they made him OP to the point where it's not even fun. 1.0 Batou was a badass and I kicked a lot of ass with him.

Also the restricted weapons - at first I thought it was good, but then I missed the quirky combinations I had, it's just not fun anymore. 2.0 FA reminds me of Dirty Bomb and how limited the weapon selection is - almost non-existant.

2.0 is bad, period. I'm not sure I know of anyone who played from day one and liked 2.0 better than 1.0.

Over 700 hours! That's crazy. Well, I tend to agree, even with as little time I have playing compared to you, the game never felt balanced to me, from CBT onward. Which I what I mean when I say I don't see much change. Whatever changes were made here or there, as a whole, the result was always the same, as far as I was concerned.
  • ChobeChobe
    First Assault Rep: 980
    edited October 26
    My 5 cents at the topic: Exactly like it is.
    Don't get me wrong, most of the 600 hours I spent in FA were on 1.0. My little gaming group and I enjoyed it a LOT and it was really much better than most shooters we played before. The only gripes we always had were some tediously imbalanced operator/weapon setups and the fact that the really great character abilities hadn't as much impact as they could.
    A friend and game mate described it as "a damn normal shooter but with one great and useful special ability every 1-3 minutes" and after a while I thought as well, that there could be much more focus on the GhostInTheShell'esque parts of the game - the character abilities. We also talked a lot about PvE and how it could be like.. and with 1.0, none of us had really high hopes for it. Generic shooter mechanics often often have generic horde or survival game modes with enemies spawning in waves and that was something none of us wanted to see in GitS.
    Then 2.0 was rolled out and after a short while of doubts, it got better and better. Sure, the balance issues were replaced by new ones, but this time it was very easy to counter those reliably and it was something that could be fixed until patch 2.x. Besides that we all were pretty confident, that these heavy changes were some kind of preparation for the PvE modes...now the road was clear to some interesting missions with a lot of GitS feeling and some more teamplay variety than just weapon and range choices.
    After a few weeks more, none of us would have gone back to 1.0 anymore.
    ...okay, perhaps with a slight cooldown on the double jump, this would be 100% true. ^^
    CybernautWeilan
  • CybernautCybernaut
    edited October 26
    I'm not sure why they pushed out 2.0 before they delivered on the PvE aspects. It seems to me that would have gone a long way to building more of a base for a game, as it was one of the elements I kept seeing people request right from the start.
  • Ragnarok013Ragnarok013
    First Assault Rep: 1,020
    edited November 2
    Weilan wrote: »
    Cybernaut wrote: »

You pretty much summed up my (and the majority of the player base's based on plummeting numbers and negative steam reviews) opinion on 2.0. The game play felt completely different, frustrating, and unsatisfying to me when 2.0 came out and it hasn't gotten any better. The number one issue is if something was perceived as an OP combo you could still take them out if you changes tactics or weapon. With 2.0 things deteriorated to "if you see a tier 2 "Rocketman" (sorry couldn't resist) RUN!". That's not balance, that's not even an attempt at balance and restricting weapons to artificially created classes just exacerbated the problem.
    Cybernaut
  • CybernautCybernaut
    edited November 2
    You pretty much summed up my (and the majority of the player base's based on plummeting numbers and negative steam reviews) opinion on 2.0. The game play felt completely different, frustrating, and unsatisfying to me when 2.0 came out and it hasn't gotten any better. The number one issue is if something was perceived as an OP combo you could still take them out if you changes tactics or weapon. With 2.0 things deteriorated to "if you see a tier 2 "Rocketman" (sorry couldn't resist) RUN!". That's not balance, that's not even an attempt at balance and restricting weapons to artificially created classes just exacerbated the problem.

I've put in a few more hours on 2.0, and it's really a joke. I don't recall any character being as overpowered as Borma is currently at any time previously in the game. When there's someone playing him that really has it down, they're practically invulnerable.