Some words of advice for those just starting.

ShadowsCallShadowsCall
First Assault Rep: 3,895
edited May 1, 2016 in New Recruits
I have played a good deal of this game and I notice a lot of the newer players make the same mistakes when they begin. I just wanted to make a list of things that may be helpful to new players to get used to the game quicker.

1. Stick with the starter guns and mod them first. (These guns are free and they are relatively good. I know when i first joined I had it in my mind that for me to have any chance I would have to switch guns quickly. This is not true in this game. Unfortunately at the moment this game does not have a test before you buy option for guns so ask around what people like what guns for what reason before you go buying guns or you can end up wasting a lot GP.)

2. The best mods you can get are not unlockables. (The market sells mods for GP. I have found these mods are by far the best. Make a plan on what you want the gun to do. Hit hard/Be stable/Be accurate/ High Fire rate. And build from there.)

3. You get 3 free operatives from leveling. (I highly recommend you spread out the types of operatives you get. Get at least one that has a skill sync ability. You get points for skill syncing and it helps your team even if you aren't very good yet. At the moment the one which is considered the best is Borma for its health regeneration. - Get one that has an ability that is not in your control. And by this I mean either Ishikawa, Togusa or Maven. Turret and Seekers are deadly without you having to pull the trigger and Mavens shield is very useful if placed correctly. Your third should be available once you have a good feel for the game and you know your own play style.)

4. Do not start with Demolition as your main game mode if you can. (This is personal preference. But as a new player, you want to get into the combat and start shooting at people and learn the game. In demolition you get 1 life per round and will end up watching most of the game if you die quickly. In Terminal Conquest and Deathmatch you will actually begin to learn the maps and your personal play style.)

5. Do not try to snipe at first. (I am going to get hate for this. But snipers in this game in Term Conquest in my opinion borderline useless. You will build up your KDR with a one shot sniper rifle but you will be hurting your team by not pushing the point and not learning how to handle close/mid range combat which will hinder you in the long run. On a side note. The way sniper rifles are at the moment are about to be changed. So learning how to use them now may be useless to you in the near future anyways.)

6. Operative mods are nice but not crucial. (So when you are in your Operative menu you will notice the third tab allows you to add temporary mods to your operatives. They give small bonuses to your skills or character and are nice. But they don't last long and you only earn them by the end of the match having a chance to get them and Events. I usually save these mods for when I use EXP or GP bonuses.)

This is my list for now. I will think about more I can add to it along the way. I sincerely hope the community keeps this post helpful as it is designed for new players trying to learn.

*Edit*
7. Do not become discouraged from dying. (There are a lot of players who have been playing this game for a long time. I promise you there will come a time when you get head shotted by the same guy for the 3rd time in a row where you will want to scream HACKER! But I tell you this now. In my entire time playing this game I have seen 1 hacker. Only 1. And I saw him once and never again. Some people, and I could name names have mastered their chosen gun and play style and know exactly where to shoot and have very fast twitch reaction times that they will kill you 9/10 times. But as you play more that number will become 8/10 and 7/10 and 6/10 until you will match them with your own gun of choice.)

*8. I have a star on this because it is very important. This game is not a game which is friendly to those who Spray and Pray.( With most guns in this game light taps of the mouse is the best option. Usually wanting to fire in 2-4 shot bursts. Even with the most accurate SMG, if you hold that mouse button down you will make a beautiful rainbow around your target and nothing more most of the time.)

9. The community is your Ally. Anger is your true enemy. (Let me start by saying. If you ever ask me or most other higher ranked players in the game a question about the game. They will probably give you more information than you intended to learn. We will tell you gun styles and mod types and which parts of the map are the best to do what in. We will tell you how to aim and fire to be precise with specific weapons. However, the first time I see someone yelling profanity, hate speech or accusations of foul play at anyone in the game that immediately shuts me down on being helpful and to be honest at that point you are more a hindrance to the community that I belong to than a boon and it becomes my goal to remove you from it.)

*New Patch Edits*

Now with the new patch it introduces a few new things to take into account when playing. The patch has changed how every weapon feels/shoots.

10. Twitch is now for streaming not for shooting. (Before the patch, when you engage in combat the first one to twitch shoot nearly always got the kill. However now the game rewards players who when they meet an enemy stop and make a game plan. Stop and Aim before shooting. Still don't spray and pray. Also this game now rewards setting yourself up in defensive position. So find a kill zone and set yourself up to cover an objective.)

11. Cover will save your life. (No longer can people snipe with SMG's or run and gun with SR's so ducking behind cover to reload is important now. Get reloaded. Get calmed and get back into combat!)

12. Speak friend and enter. ( The Goddess of the forums now runs a Discord! Join her majesty and the rest of the community here https://discord.gg/0vwwoqaPjxriAGLs )
VenkmanIcyySlezironKoteGaishiRymm595BattleshrimpGeneauxKoronusBlack_LabyrinthHakureiand 31 others.

Comments

• LumosNXALumosNXA
    First Assault Rep: 16,435
    Administrator
    edited March 30, 2016
    Great tips! :)
  • TriviTrivi
    First Assault Rep: 1,770
    @Shadowscall
    You might want to add to your list, that players can determine themselves which weapon to unlock first, but you cannot choose the order of mods to be unlocked on a weapon.
    New players should not get discouraged by the small playerbase or difficulty to find matches due to the game being in early access. Play during peak times (evening).
    Overall pretty nice introduction guide for new players.
  • VenkmanVenkman
    First Assault Rep: 7,225
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    nice stuff @ShadowsCall
  • GMRoboCatGMRoboCat
    First Assault Rep: 1,275
    Administrator
    edited March 30, 2016
    I have definitely been killed by @ShadowsCall a great number of times. Good read and great advice =3
    DeviDranity
  • KindynoKindyno
    First Assault Rep: 1,595
    this is great, i especially like tip 4. i personally started with terminal before moving to demo. I would also say adding players to your friends list and playing custom matches with skilled players will help you improve. don't be afraid to play custom matches and experiment with the game mechanics.
  • frendeefrendee
    First Assault Rep: 420
    Thanks for tips! I'll keep moduling my stock weapons
    xeroslash
  • xeroslashxeroslash
    First Assault Rep: 2,615
    Member+
    frendee
    frendee said:

Thanks for tips! I'll keep moduling my stock weapons
    The M4A1 in particular is a beast after you slap on a few mods - if you're a decent aimer and can control your taps, you can score quite a bit of headshots after adding some accuracy mods and you can burst it in a pinch in closer quarters as well.
    Dnutt20x6
  • DeviDranityDeviDranity
    First Assault Rep: 1,115
    @ShadowsCall Another thing I'd like to add to this, as someone who started playing consistently relatively recently, is that newbies shouldn't be afraid of asking those who are experienced/skilled at the game for help or advice. Practically everyone I've run into in this game has been incredibly friendly once you get talking, and I think it's worth making it clear to those starting the game that the community, probably as a result of it being quite small, is accepting of polite and enthusiastic players regardless of skill.
  • ShadowsCallShadowsCall
    edited May 1, 2016
    DeviDranity

@ShadowsCall Another thing I'd like to add to this, as someone who started playing consistently relatively recently, is that newbies shouldn't be afraid of asking those who are experienced/skilled at the game for help or advice. Practically everyone I've run into in this game has been incredibly friendly once you get talking, and I think it's worth making it clear to those starting the game that the community, probably as a result of it being quite small, is accepting of polite and enthusiastic players regardless of skill.
    I completely agree with this. Anyone who asks me a serious question on something in game, I will give them detailed information to help them.

However on a side note. Every single person who starts a conversation with (So and so is hacking) or (This game is so broken the guns don't work because I cant hit anyone) or (!@#% You !@#% this community i hate !@$#%&$ everyone) I can tell you right now I will in no way assist you in learning how to be a better player. I hope some people take this to heart and think before they talk.

Sorry to rant a little here but I have recently had a mass of these.
    DeviDranityxochildSergeiPavlovVeldrin
  • ThrashinuvaThrashinuva
    First Assault Rep: 800
    I have to disagree about sniping in TC. As far as starting out goes it probably depends on the player, but overall it might be harder to grasp for a newbie. As far as TC goes, a good player will pick off entry ways to the terminal, and a good player can completely block off an entire entryway, though it largely has to do with which specific terminal you're defending. This creates a situation in which the enemy will do 0 damage to any allies and hopefully yourself, and suffer a respawn having accomplished nothing.

Now, of course, if everyone is sniping, then there really is a situation that likely the point is not getting pushed (a team of skilled snipers could probably do it, but when is that really going to happen?) That said you only need one person on the point to cap it. Of course that person will likely die, but that's where you and the rest of the team come in. Whoever is sniping should be working on any incoming threats, and whoever is not sniping should survey the area and eliminate any immediate threats. If someone dies and at that point there is nothing you are dealing with, you should take the point, even if you are a sniper, unless you see someone else take it, or at the very least work to clear it out of the enemy.

What you're likely have had to experience is a group of 4 - 6 players all sniping and not accomplishing a lot. Maybe there's 1 or 2 decent snipers in that group, but they can't work effectively because all of the enemy attention is drawn to them. This should never happen (but it does), and steps should be taken to avoid this.
  • xochildxochild
    First Assault Rep: 3,725
    Great points for new players, maybe this thread could be pinned and turned into a megathread?
  • ShadowsCallShadowsCall
    edited May 1, 2016
    I really appreciate all your guys comments and praise for this thread. I honestly did not know how it would be taken. I am glad it is being useful to the community. I will continue to edit in good suggestions into it.
  • ShadowsCallShadowsCall
    edited May 1, 2016
    Just added some edits for the new patch.
  • Rymm595Rymm595
    First Assault Rep: 100
    edited April 4, 2016
    I must say, these tips you give are quite nice, and I'll certainly try to follow them.

I'm still extremely new at this game, as well as this style of shooter in general (my main shooter experience is mainly things like Tribes or TF2...so...yeah...twitch-aim more valued, no ADS, etc.), so I certainly am going to look for all the help I can get.

I do say, though, it's a tiny bit discouraging when you're but a level 3 and you're constantly getting stomped into the ground by much, much more experienced players.

If I may ask:
    One thing that's really, really throwing me off at the moment with this game is that the aiming feels a bit...loose? It almost feels like there's a bit of extra lingering movement after I stop moving the mouse, and that an attempt to start up any aiming movement has a tiny bit of a split-second slow period. Would you happen to know if that's just the nature of the game, or if I need to check some settings?
  • ShadowsCallShadowsCall
    edited May 1, 2016
    Rymm595
    Rymm595 said:

I must say, these tips you give are quite nice, and I'll certainly try to follow them.

I'm still extremely new at this game, as well as this style of shooter in general (my main shooter experience is mainly things like Tribes or TF2...so...yeah...twitch-aim more valued, no ADS, etc.), so I certainly am going to look for all the help I can get.

I do say, though, it's a tiny bit discouraging when you're but a level 3 and you're constantly getting stomped into the ground by much, much more experienced players.

If I may ask:
    One thing that's really, really throwing me off at the moment with this game is that the aiming feels a bit...loose? It almost feels like there's a bit of extra lingering movement after I stop moving the mouse, and that an attempt to start up any aiming movement has a tiny bit of a split-second slow period. Would you happen to know if that's just the nature of the game, or if I need to check some settings?
    I am a fellow tribes 1/2/ascend player. Loved tribes one. Played it forever (still do sometimes) But i enjoy nostalgic gaming(Still play everquest 1 sometimes :-) ).

As to your question. Momentum is a thing in this game. Whether it is intended by the developers or a part of input lag, I do not know. But mastering the movements of your own character should definitely be a priority for you. Figuring out things like, how long it takes to vault a wall exactly. Or how long it takes for your retical to get small enough for precise targeting. Some things that you may want to play around with. Try increasing your mouse sensitivity until it feels just barely too sensitive. Then try to play on that till you get used to it. It will help you maximize your reaction time.
    Venkman
  • xeroslashxeroslash
    First Assault Rep: 2,615
    Member+
    edited April 4, 2016
    Rymm595
    Rymm595 said:

If I may ask:
    This sounds like mouse acceleration, which you can disable ingame - be sure that it's set to 0 in-game, and also take a look in the Options.ini config file in your game directory under the Data folder and make sure that MouseAccel (located under [Input]) is set to 0 instead of 1.
  • VenkmanVenkman
    First Assault Rep: 7,225
    edited April 4, 2016
    Good points on mouse settings fellas. I have my dpi and mouse acceleration up as much as I can, actually I think my acceleration is at 100, but then again I am a wrist shooter not an elbow shooter, so that may vary for some. Either way, the higher the better for this game, its not twitchy, but certainly is fast.
  • ShadowsCallShadowsCall
    edited May 1, 2016
    Added the Discord channel to the post.
  • ShadowsCallShadowsCall
    edited May 1, 2016
    Updated the discord channel for the official server.
  • Rymm595Rymm595
    First Assault Rep: 100
    edited April 7, 2016
    xeroslash
    xeroslash said:

Rymm595
    Rymm595 said:

If I may ask:
    This sounds like mouse acceleration, which you can disable ingame - be sure that it's set to 0 in-game, and also take a look in the Options.ini config file in your game directory under the Data folder and make sure that MouseAccel (located under [Input]) is set to 0 instead of 1.
    I'll take a look at the data folder as well. I've had to remove mouse acceleration in some other games in the past.

Thanks.