I have played a good deal of this game and I notice a lot of the newer players make the same mistakes when they begin. I just wanted to make a list of things that may be helpful to new players to get used to the game quicker.
1. Stick with the starter guns and mod them first. (These guns are free and they are relatively good. I know when i first joined I had it in my mind that for me to have any chance I would have to switch guns quickly. This is not true in this game. Unfortunately at the moment this game does not have a test before you buy option for guns so ask around what people like what guns for what reason before you go buying guns or you can end up wasting a lot GP.)
2. The best mods you can get are not unlockables. (The market sells mods for GP. I have found these mods are by far the best. Make a plan on what you want the gun to do. Hit hard/Be stable/Be accurate/ High Fire rate. And build from there.)
3. You get 3 free operatives from leveling. (I highly recommend you spread out the types of operatives you get. Get at least one that has a skill sync ability. You get points for skill syncing and it helps your team even if you aren't very good yet. At the moment the one which is considered the best is Borma for its health regeneration. - Get one that has an ability that is not in your control. And by this I mean either Ishikawa, Togusa or Maven. Turret and Seekers are deadly without you having to pull the trigger and Mavens shield is very useful if placed correctly. Your third should be available once you have a good feel for the game and you know your own play style.)
4. Do not start with Demolition as your main game mode if you can. (This is personal preference. But as a new player, you want to get into the combat and start shooting at people and learn the game. In demolition you get 1 life per round and will end up watching most of the game if you die quickly. In Terminal Conquest and Deathmatch you will actually begin to learn the maps and your personal play style.)
5. Do not try to snipe at first. (I am going to get hate for this. But snipers in this game in Term Conquest in my opinion borderline useless. You will build up your KDR with a one shot sniper rifle but you will be hurting your team by not pushing the point and not learning how to handle close/mid range combat which will hinder you in the long run. On a side note. The way sniper rifles are at the moment are about to be changed. So learning how to use them now may be useless to you in the near future anyways.)
6. Operative mods are nice but not crucial. (So when you are in your Operative menu you will notice the third tab allows you to add temporary mods to your operatives. They give small bonuses to your skills or character and are nice. But they don't last long and you only earn them by the end of the match having a chance to get them and Events. I usually save these mods for when I use EXP or GP bonuses.)
This is my list for now. I will think about more I can add to it along the way. I sincerely hope the community keeps this post helpful as it is designed for new players trying to learn.
*Edit* 7. Do not become discouraged from dying. (There are a lot of players who have been playing this game for a long time. I promise you there will come a time when you get head shotted by the same guy for the 3rd time in a row where you will want to scream HACKER! But I tell you this now. In my entire time playing this game I have seen 1 hacker. Only 1. And I saw him once and never again. Some people, and I could name names have mastered their chosen gun and play style and know exactly where to shoot and have very fast twitch reaction times that they will kill you 9/10 times. But as you play more that number will become 8/10 and 7/10 and 6/10 until you will match them with your own gun of choice.)
*8. I have a star on this because it is very important. This game is not a game which is friendly to those who Spray and Pray.( With most guns in this game light taps of the mouse is the best option. Usually wanting to fire in 2-4 shot bursts. Even with the most accurate SMG, if you hold that mouse button down you will make a beautiful rainbow around your target and nothing more most of the time.)
9. The community is your Ally. Anger is your true enemy. (Let me start by saying. If you ever ask me or most other higher ranked players in the game a question about the game. They will probably give you more information than you intended to learn. We will tell you gun styles and mod types and which parts of the map are the best to do what in. We will tell you how to aim and fire to be precise with specific weapons. However, the first time I see someone yelling profanity, hate speech or accusations of foul play at anyone in the game that immediately shuts me down on being helpful and to be honest at that point you are more a hindrance to the community that I belong to than a boon and it becomes my goal to remove you from it.)
*New Patch Edits*
Now with the new patch it introduces a few new things to take into account when playing. The patch has changed how every weapon feels/shoots.
10. Twitch is now for streaming not for shooting. (Before the patch, when you engage in combat the first one to twitch shoot nearly always got the kill. However now the game rewards players who when they meet an enemy stop and make a game plan. Stop and Aim before shooting. Still don't spray and pray. Also this game now rewards setting yourself up in defensive position. So find a kill zone and set yourself up to cover an objective.)
11. Cover will save your life. (No longer can people snipe with SMG's or run and gun with SR's so ducking behind cover to reload is important now. Get reloaded. Get calmed and get back into combat!)