Some words of advice for those just starting.

Comments

• SentienceLOLSentienceLOL
    First Assault Rep: 795
    edited April 22, 2016
    just to be pedantic in point 2 you talk about mods for the guns, you can't change fire rate =P great post btw
  • ShadowsCallShadowsCall
    First Assault Rep: 3,895
    edited April 29, 2016
    Woot. Broke 300 views. Thank you all for liking this post. I hope it has helped many a visitor. And thank you Lumos for Pinning it!
  • yateyate
    First Assault Rep: 310
    edited April 30, 2016
    I almost feel like this should be stickied. I just got here and this all feels like great info.

Why discord though....eeew. Teamspeak.
  • ShadowsCallShadowsCall
    edited April 30, 2016
    yate
    yate said:

I almost feel like this should be stickied. I just got here and this all feels like great info.

Why discord though....eeew. Teamspeak.
    When I first joined discord for this game (Because i used to use vent/ts/mumble) I thought the same thing. But Discord is really an all around better program. It offers a lot of options the others just don't compare to. And it is much friendlier to new users.

Also thanks to Lumos this post was stickied recently. They call it Pinned here. Thank you again Lumos and the community that pushed for it!

I am glad you enjoy the game and the tips. Good shooting.
  • ThrashinuvaThrashinuva
    First Assault Rep: 800
    edited April 30, 2016
    I just wanted to point out that in spite of me defending snipers earlier, the patch at the time really did ruin them. I'm not even sure they did anything to the rifles directly, but now it's a lot harder to get a body shot and a lot easier to hit the arm, which is rather useless.

Because of that, the lack of pushing on terminals is still okay if you're making it easier for the rest of your team, but you'd be much better off using an Assault Rifle instead.

Snipers can still be good, but the proper time for them comess around a lot less.
    Dnutt20x6
  • AfricandaveAfricandave
    First Assault Rep: 670
    edited May 1, 2016
    NIce guide, it helped me a lot. Wish I had known about No. 3 earlier.
    While I like Motoko, Borma, Saito - I wish I had one Ishikawa for holding objectives.
  • lancemiGODlancemiGOD
    First Assault Rep: 300
    edited May 3, 2016
    Okayish tips, i actually realised this after few hours of playing. Also there are alot of new players so you will play versus them, they will most likely have same weapon like you do. Anyways i bought AK-47 as soon as i could with all upgrades and im more than happy with it.

Talking about operators i could advice Paz, extremely good for rushing. Other than that, everyone in your team will love if you play the healing operator(can't remember the name).

Hopefully this will help a bit :)
  • Bench_WarriorBench_Warrior
    First Assault Rep: 1,645
    Member+
    edited May 12, 2016
    mind if i add a tip or two on occasion shadows?

For instance, if you round a corner and find multiple enemies, run back around that corner and use the wall so that only one enemy is in your line of sight and vise versa at any given time. This allows you to take out a group of players that vastly out number you and is how I get a majority of my big kill streaks. While there are a lot of boxes you can hide behind, it still leaves you exposed to multiple enemies at once. Also don't be afraid to run away, and you don't always have to go for the revenge kill.

*edit
    You did miss the SINGLE most important piece of advice for any noob. The mini map will save your life! Don't accuse people of hacking because they have ESP. They're using the mini map and they understand how the map flows because of it.
    Dnutt20x6
  • ShadowsCallShadowsCall
    edited May 13, 2016
    Bench_Warrior

mind if i add a tip or two on occasion shadows?

You did miss the SINGLE most important piece of advice for any noob. The mini map will save your life! Don't accuse people of hacking because they have ESP. They're using the mini map and they understand how the map flows because of it.

When I do my next edit to the post. Probably on the next big patch. I will add the mini map advise. However your other bit of info probably a little to advanced for new players. But they will be able to read it here.
    Member+
    edited May 13, 2016
    mkay XD
  • MusqueteerMusqueteer
    First Assault Rep: 495
    edited May 25, 2016
    Sorry if this has already been mentioned, I haven't read every single post, but as far as advice to new players go, I can say this:

For the love of god, DO NOT mod your guns to lose more than 1-3 movement speed! Stick with basic mods that do not cost movement speed. If you mod to lose 5-7 movement speed, you will be a sitting target.
    Midlord
    Member+
    edited May 29, 2016
    Musqueteer

Sorry if this has already been mentioned, I haven't read every single post, but as far as advice to new players go, I can say this:

For the love of god, DO NOT mod your guns to lose more than 1-3 movement speed! Stick with basic mods that do not cost movement speed. If you mod to lose 5-7 movement speed, you will be a sitting target.
    i have my seo mpx fully kitted out. It all depends on the gun and the inherent runspeed that gun has.

• MidlordMidlord
    First Assault Rep: 4,030
    Member+
    edited June 1, 2016
    Thanks for the tips. I really wish I had came and read this thread sooner. I began buying weapons and mods too soon and now I regret it, being low on GP when I have a better idea of what new weapons would be more interesting, or mods. I could have a scar with the two or three mods I'd need for it to go well and lots of GP to buy and mod a choice SMG; instead I bought an AK-47 that's probably not that much better for me and have to wait a lot till I can buy my choice SMG and then mod it and then get the pistol, though that's a hard choice.

So what I should have done instead was: go around unlocking but not buying unlocks, beyond one weapon of each kind, then see which kind was better for me, then unlock and get a second weapon of that kind. Then alternate using them, to get a feel which I prefer, then what stat is the likely responsible for me liking it more and so get an idea for what stats to look for for my first choice weapon and then that'll help me decide what mods I want. Then what would be the best for other types of weapon choices. Mod them. Then when GP is abundant one can start to test other mod combinations or new weapons. Until then, first choice and a variation of the stock weapons to feel for different game play styles and weapon stats.

Forgot: Remember you can pick weapons from fallen operatives; so if you're thinking of getting a weapon, try to find one dropped and use it, then see how it feels.
  • KarurauatsuureiKarurauatsuurei
    First Assault Rep: 1,650
    edited July 19, 2016
    ShadowsCall

Now with the new patch it introduces a few new things to take into account when playing. The patch has changed how every weapon feels/shoots.

10. Twitch is now for streaming not for shooting. (Before the patch, when you engage in combat the first one to twitch shoot nearly always got the kill. However now the game rewards players who when they meet an enemy stop and make a game plan. Stop and Aim before shooting. Still don't spray and pray. Also this game now rewards setting yourself up in defensive position. So find a kill zone and set yourself up to cover an objective.)

11. Cover will save your life. (No longer can people snipe with SMG's or run and gun with SR's so ducking behind cover to reload is important now. Get reloaded. Get calmed and get back into combat!)

Ehhhhhh.....I agreed with pretty much everything up to these points. I still find that stopping and aiming will get me killed in lieu of shooting first at close-medium range and sniping with an SMG is still extremely viable. I was sniping across the long stretch in the Military Dome map with the MP5K. It's not hyper precise, but it could still pull off 2-3 headshots a clip without attachments

Over all, good information.
  • MidlordMidlord
    First Assault Rep: 4,030
    Member+
    edited August 8, 2016
    Yesterday I got a vote to be kicked because I kept obstructing a team mate in a demo match (therefore I say I deserved it). Something I was not aware of at all until (s)he told why. Though I don't know where I kept blocking passage, I think I'm unlikely to miss if I say it was not after reaching the door outside Geofront's B when defending. The reason being, most likely, I had that player right behind and at some corner of doorway, not being aware of that and not feeling being pushed or anything, I kept obstructing passage. And the reason for that, most likely, is that I knew I couldn't still be expecting to find enemies yet and they'd unlikely be appearing in the minimap, because of that I didn't look at the minimap, so I couldn't see I had a team mate right behind/on top. Had I done so, I would've been aware someone might have been wishing to get past me or through the spot I was in and I would've moved away before becoming traffic.

The point of that example is clear: use the minimap not only to know where enemies are shooting at or just died; but also to see your team mates positions. To see if you have somebody behind who needs you not to stop at this spot right now. Looking at the minimap for your team mates also has other benefits: as @Chenzho says in his stream, you can make a guess in random spawn maps where the enemies are more likely to be spawning from, you can also see what places would be more dangerous to have enemies appearing from and you would be helpful defending or looking at, or where would you have a chance to flank enemies found by your team.

It's good to try improving the individual play when one starts: improve aim, use cover better, know your maps, when to reload, etc; but try not to neglect, as I have sadly done, improving your teamwork. However, don't try to improve too many things at the same time. I think it's perhaps better to try focusing on one or two aspects of your gameplay at a time.
  • NakitaNakita
    First Assault Rep: 600
    edited August 8, 2016
    Very informative!
  • MajorFearMajorFear
    First Assault Rep: 540
    edited August 8, 2016
    Awsome tips wish those were around when i started lol
  • ImmotayImmotay
    First Assault Rep: 200
    edited October 7, 2016
    Hey, this thread is kinda old but, I was intered on the discord but the invite expired, any chance you could post another invite ?

Nevermind, I am dumb and I just now found the link in the general discussion section.
  • MelchMelch
    First Assault Rep: 1,375
    Member+
    edited October 7, 2016
    I would add some few other tips :

- lower your mouse sensitivity for better aim
    - keep crosshair at head level
    - try to never get angry
    - go outside do some sport because it will give you some energy to run over your enemies.
  • DiepelDiepel
    First Assault Rep: 605
    edited October 7, 2016
    lower your mouse sensitivity for better aim
    This, this and this!

Get used to 1000 effective DPI and for christs sake disable mouse accel. It will help so much. And when you got to that sensitivity stick with it until you die. Doesn't matter which shooter you will play. When the muscle memory kicks in you will have less problems to become good.