Some words of advice for those just starting.

Comments

• xochildxochild
    First Assault Rep: 3,225
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    Great points for new players, maybe this thread could be pinned and turned into a megathread?
  • ShadowsCallShadowsCall
    First Assault Rep: 3,855
    edited May 1, 2016
    I really appreciate all your guys comments and praise for this thread. I honestly did not know how it would be taken. I am glad it is being useful to the community. I will continue to edit in good suggestions into it.
  • ShadowsCallShadowsCall
    edited May 1, 2016
    Just added some edits for the new patch.
  • Rymm595Rymm595
    First Assault Rep: 100
    edited April 4, 2016
    I must say, these tips you give are quite nice, and I'll certainly try to follow them.

I'm still extremely new at this game, as well as this style of shooter in general (my main shooter experience is mainly things like Tribes or TF2...so...yeah...twitch-aim more valued, no ADS, etc.), so I certainly am going to look for all the help I can get.

I do say, though, it's a tiny bit discouraging when you're but a level 3 and you're constantly getting stomped into the ground by much, much more experienced players.

If I may ask:
    One thing that's really, really throwing me off at the moment with this game is that the aiming feels a bit...loose? It almost feels like there's a bit of extra lingering movement after I stop moving the mouse, and that an attempt to start up any aiming movement has a tiny bit of a split-second slow period. Would you happen to know if that's just the nature of the game, or if I need to check some settings?
  • ShadowsCallShadowsCall
    edited May 1, 2016
    Rymm595
    Rymm595 said:

I must say, these tips you give are quite nice, and I'll certainly try to follow them.

I'm still extremely new at this game, as well as this style of shooter in general (my main shooter experience is mainly things like Tribes or TF2...so...yeah...twitch-aim more valued, no ADS, etc.), so I certainly am going to look for all the help I can get.

I do say, though, it's a tiny bit discouraging when you're but a level 3 and you're constantly getting stomped into the ground by much, much more experienced players.

If I may ask:
    One thing that's really, really throwing me off at the moment with this game is that the aiming feels a bit...loose? It almost feels like there's a bit of extra lingering movement after I stop moving the mouse, and that an attempt to start up any aiming movement has a tiny bit of a split-second slow period. Would you happen to know if that's just the nature of the game, or if I need to check some settings?
    I am a fellow tribes 1/2/ascend player. Loved tribes one. Played it forever (still do sometimes) But i enjoy nostalgic gaming(Still play everquest 1 sometimes :-) ).

As to your question. Momentum is a thing in this game. Whether it is intended by the developers or a part of input lag, I do not know. But mastering the movements of your own character should definitely be a priority for you. Figuring out things like, how long it takes to vault a wall exactly. Or how long it takes for your retical to get small enough for precise targeting. Some things that you may want to play around with. Try increasing your mouse sensitivity until it feels just barely too sensitive. Then try to play on that till you get used to it. It will help you maximize your reaction time.
    Venkman
  • xeroslashxeroslash
    First Assault Rep: 2,195
    Member+
    edited April 4, 2016
    Rymm595
    Rymm595 said:

If I may ask:
    This sounds like mouse acceleration, which you can disable ingame - be sure that it's set to 0 in-game, and also take a look in the Options.ini config file in your game directory under the Data folder and make sure that MouseAccel (located under [Input]) is set to 0 instead of 1.
  • VenkmanVenkman
    First Assault Rep: 5,655
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited April 4, 2016
    Good points on mouse settings fellas. I have my dpi and mouse acceleration up as much as I can, actually I think my acceleration is at 100, but then again I am a wrist shooter not an elbow shooter, so that may vary for some. Either way, the higher the better for this game, its not twitchy, but certainly is fast.
  • ShadowsCallShadowsCall
    edited May 1, 2016
    Added the Discord channel to the post.
  • ShadowsCallShadowsCall
    edited May 1, 2016
    Updated the discord channel for the official server.
  • Rymm595Rymm595
    First Assault Rep: 100
    edited April 7, 2016
    xeroslash
    xeroslash said:

Rymm595
    Rymm595 said:

If I may ask:
    This sounds like mouse acceleration, which you can disable ingame - be sure that it's set to 0 in-game, and also take a look in the Options.ini config file in your game directory under the Data folder and make sure that MouseAccel (located under [Input]) is set to 0 instead of 1.
    I'll take a look at the data folder as well. I've had to remove mouse acceleration in some other games in the past.

Thanks.