[Fanfic/Fanart] Unit 6 HQ

Comments

• DandareDandare
    First Assault Rep: 3,145
    edited October 31, 2016

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!

And so I am returning with slightly prolonged absence and this not all that glorious Halloween contest art. For those of You who read my official entry: I fell asleep around 3AM not finishing it properly and leaving some 2-4 pixel line thickness differences.... yeah... by the time I woke up and fixed it it was 2 and half hours past deadline so I guess I buried all chances for rewards :P

Nonetheless it was ultimately much fun to work on. I realized my wish of designing my very own 'TYPE 303 CUSTOM - "Gashadokuro" Armoured Suit' which will be a big part of UNIT 6 lore (more of it later) and had a lot of coll exploration on details of clothing our dear Major Motoko used through out her series, including possibly all three most iconic iterations :)

That being said: I will be posting separately all those linearts with a bit of insight on lore of easter-eggs I put on them as well as more explicit information on aforementioned custom armoured suit.

CHEERS!!!
    VenkmanKodaiganHakureiUrODelAKyleKatarn
  • VenkmanVenkman
    First Assault Rep: 7,340
    Member, Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited October 31, 2016
    Happy Halloween @Dandare! Great work! Don't stay up too late tonight too! ;)
    Dandare
  • KodaiganKodaigan
    First Assault Rep: 2,195
    Member+
    edited November 1, 2016
    Pretty solid pic right there! And a bit late thou, but happy Halloween to you too!

Just a quick thing which I found weird...maybe I'm the only one who sees this:
    Where is her right foot? In that perspective it should be "still" visible somewhere....right?

Hope it helps.

Best Regards
    Koda
    Dandare
  • DandareDandare
    edited November 2, 2016
    @Hakurei , @Venkman , @Kodaigan THANKS FOR SUPPORT!

And as for Koda's question:

It's indeed pose which gave me most work. Apparently by research (performed on little sister ;P ) I came to conclusion that right foot will be hidden as long as legs are put in arrow shape due to perspective (with rarely tips of toes showing). Only instance we'll see about 50% of right foot heel is if Lumos's character was putting right leg underneath her butt. Which apparently might even look better? I dunno.. would have to try, so thanks for suggestion since it gave some creative idea :) I will try it out in free time!

Other thing I was worried you would ask is 'why is back of the costume wide only on left butt-cheek ' XD. Apparently: it was drawn that way in TV animation in most cases whenever we could see Motoko's 'back' :). My only guess is that it was really tight and had tendency to slide ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) - so I left it that way.

With that being said: sorry but no inside story post with ar... doodles' close ups yet today :). I'll start from tomorrow once I'll be on a work keyboard (not wasted by the gaming XD) during the luchbreak to avoid overly big amount of typos. I hope You guys would probably read through and maybe we'll hit some discussion on GitS lore as I look for a ways to improve my characters or simply make them more interesting =D

The ordr would be:
    -Noriko
    -Raziel
    -Ryuu
    -Lumos
    -And for a 'grand finale' Custom Type 303 "Gashadokuro

Also! This month I AM COLORING! Time to put dust of my Wacom. Not like it'll change anything about designs but I hope to at least make daltonists angry =D
    UrODelA
  • KodaiganKodaigan
    Member+
    edited November 1, 2016
    Just to clarify of what you ment:
    So she is sitting with the legs going sideways, while the right leg having a different angle than the left.....mkay, makes sense then.

Carry on. :o
    DandareManiacBatou
  • DandareDandare
    edited November 2, 2016

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

AFTERMATH ;)

With year's spookiest night behind and more Marzipan than I can hope to eat this week without getting sick - I welcome You into my shabby cyberpunk world of GitS lore and wicked imagination once more :)

To not base it only around already posted arts I decided to add my little part of Halloween comic as you can see. Well I hope nobody minds me that. To not prolong it:

Casual "Punk" Noriko

Character insight:
    Thinking of this one I've decided to not 'cosplay' Noriko. Reason as to this is that as far as her personality goes she would probably pay no heed to Section 9 history. Things would go into more interesting direction with Laughing Man Phenomenon of 2024. Being as she is Noriko likes two things for sure:
    -when interesting things are happening
    -hacking the network
    As such it would not be surprising if she at least a bit idolized a movement as a whole and possibly even knew about and considers somewhat a 'kin spirit' Aoi himself. Same time Noriko is whimsical and really childish in certain areas of personality so seeing her 'venting out' in almost gang like punk clothes was something really in line of her character. Thus I decided on explicit icon of Laughing man painted with (fluorescent?) spray paint on her belly more than actual cosplay. Last reason was for me to for the first time design and show her cybernetic legs without fake skin or anything else covering them.

References insight:
    There are two direct and two less direct references to the Ghost in the Shell universe. Direct ones would be an aforementioned and obvious Laughing Man logo on Noriko's belly and slightly more hidden "Individual Eleven" Logo on spray paint can ("Revenge, Infinity, Samurai" - so cool XD ! ) . The indirect ones are hidden in references and more likely point out to Masamune Shirow (GitS original author) than GitS itself. You see:
    Noriko's legs were pretty much influenced a lot by Masamune Shirow's arts. Namely those two:
    Masamune Shirow Cybernetic 1
    Masamune Shirow Cybernetic 2
    And although it's not apparent at 1st: some elements are almost copied ^^;
    Same way there is an element in Norikos attire which I based on other of Masamune Shirow works. Namely - armbands! They have that catchy 'punkish' look for me and were directly inspired in their design by : Masamune Shirow - Girl with umbrella

Timeframe:

Ok this section was added under-gun of my colleague and little sister (which both I involved in this so... yeah, they have right to force me)
    So: how much it took?
    Reference gathering: Was a bit harsh as I was looking for inspiration to cybernetic legs, around 2 hours.
    Pose and proportion sketches: Actually went pretty easy, too me about 3 iterations. 1 and half hour.
    Detail design pencil sketch: this one was not easy. With all experimentation and so on... I guess it's safe to say it took 4 hours
    Inking: not that little of a detail; Due to all small elements the inking took nearly as much as actual design. 3 hours.
    TOTAL: 10 and half hour. (actually: the one that took the most time and workload XD)

UrODelAKyleKatarn
  • DandareDandare
    edited November 3, 2016

Raziel- Motoko Kusanagi 'Arise' series cosplay

Character insight:

My fave game official is here =D !

If anyone wonders: Raziel is one of Disrespect's and Lumos's colleagues and basically the possibly most cheerful person that official team presented to us. I created her manga'ish personification before. As her favorite weapon is MP7 and she haves real fun personality I thought that she would be most fitting to the newest iteration of GitS series cosplay. Same time what I am most proud of is the smug expression I managed to bring here. It's like it is saying: "Yes Disrespect, you're going to get into that dress!" or similar notion of thoughts (either way - definitely some cheeky line XD). Even Raz herself stated that she 'loves' how it looks so I couldn't be more happy about outcome =D !

References insight:

As noted - Raziel is wearing the costume of Major Motoko herself we can see her in, in newest TV series "Ghost in the Shell: Arise". It's skin tight and somewhat reminds me of "Gantz" series, but it's smexy and fitting the cool&cheery feel about Raz herself so I guess it's perfect match.

The other quite obvious reference would be the book her character is throwing away. It's "The Cather in the Rye" by J.D. Salinger and it was one of solid inspirations for GitS storyline in earlier series. For example the text "I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." we see on Laughing Man logo is direct quote from this book. Other (my favorite) reference which appears in GitS happens once Major meets Aoi for the very first time in seemingly empty library. the quote goes:

“That's the whole trouble. You can't ever find a place that's nice and peaceful, because there isn't any. You may think there is, but once you get there, when you're not looking, somebody'll sneak up and write "F*** you" right under your nose. Try it sometime. I think, even, if I ever die, and they stick me in a cemetery, and I have a tombstone and all, it'll say "Holden Caulfield" on it, and then what year I was born and what year I died, and then right under that it'll say "F*** you." I'm positive, in fact.”

As far we do not witness Major talking directly any of these lines soon enough we see on one of the railings that Major passes in this serene and tranquil environment this:

A direct "Noy Kcnf" - right ?! XD

I decided to draw Raziel throwing that book since I learned earlier she does not really know all that much on GitS topic and much less I think she did such things as read J.D.Salinger books to have deeper understanding, so it's like 'screw this!' notion. Same time however she still remains super cool and smug as they get :D

Timeframe:
    Reference gathering: 30 min - new series get a lot arts, designs and even fanarts published on net, so it's easy catch
    Pose and proportion sketches: 2 and half hour - I was looking up the pose for a while and it's one of two most difficult ones in the Halloween art series. I did scratch about 2 before making this one (making it match smug smile and incorporate the book which was planned to appear from get-go)
    Detail design pencil sketch: 2 and a half - good references and not that great degree of detail in original design (one of + of TV series - they're rarely very detailed to be easier to animate)
    Inking: 2 hours
    Total: 7 and half hour of workload.
    UrODelAKyleKatarn
  • DandareDandare
    edited November 4, 2016

Ryuu - Motoko Kusanagi "1995" cosplay

Character insight:

On a little sidenote: "Ghost in the Shell 1995 " version of Major Motoko would probably remain my all time favorite. Reasons are many, such as epic fight against T08A2 / R3000 "Spider Tank" . Yet still prime thing is probably the fact that it was 1st movie concerning GitS which I ever watched and I was in awe! It's one of top 5 reasons why later on I decided to try my own at drawing.

Ryuu is set into cosplay of Major Kusanagi from time of 1995 movie. Although being character highly focused on aspects of speed and agility - she's not wearing heavy bullet-proof vest from final fight. (still those leg guards design is so cool XD!)

According to her bio's storyline I would say it makes sense that she would probably aim mostly to be like Major Kusanagi of that time. Slightly reckless, extremely capable and quite 'devil may care'. Least this is the approach I would like to take for character.

References insight:

Aforementioned costume is obvious reference. I must say I love those old-school virtual visors/googles. Not as smooth or detailed as later designs, but still they seem to me a most iconic! Rest of the costume actually was a leg protectors, arm protectors, heavy bulletproof vest (omitted here and omitted most of movie.... but cool) and a skin tight jump-suit. Jumpsuits are pretty much easiest thing to draw on character (and I did share of Fallout commissions so You might take my word for it :P ) but the protectors on limbs were in fact designed to be quite intricate and cool looking so they were not as easy as it may seem.

Overall 1995 animation was REALLY detailed once we get a closer look and I seriously nod towards great talents of the authors. As I've mentioned: it is not really all that common for animation since it's hectic to keep up, much worse than when it concerns comic and much much worse than in case of design illustrations.

Other less obvious reference which is equally old would be what's written on the dog tags she's flipping. Some of you might've decoded "PROJECT 2501" written over them and those I guess know what it refers to. As I've mentioned earlier - Ryuu is fully cybernetic person (most out of UNIT6) with only majority of her brain remaining still organic. She's for sure experiencing connected to this identity issues very much like Major Motoko did once in her storyline and as such "PROJECT 2501" is somehow ideological addition to struggle as she would be at point faced with. When it'll happen question about idea of ghost itself and where exactly lies an importance of organic 'parts' in relation to it would be a most dire one for her to answer.

Timeframe:
    Reference gathering: 15 min - I actually had a folder of references on this version of Major.... for reasons.
    Pose and proportion sketches: 1 hour - relatively easy pose and good luck on execution
    Detail design pencil sketch: 2 and half hour (actually there was a version with a bullet-proof vest on, but in leaning pose like this one and on small stature character like Ryuu it looked... funny. It took additional 1 hour though to make which I won't count here)
    Inking: 2 and half hour
    Total: 6 hours - if I were tenacious enough I could possibly make one such everyday XD (but I'm lazy bum and still need my 3-5 hours sleep)
    UrODelAKyleKatarn
  • DandareDandare
    edited November 6, 2016
    Well putting on hold the descriptive information on references I've used and other more menial tasks - I'll put not something much less time consuming but probably something still barely acceptable for an art.

Casual "Punk" Noriko
    In Color

Still not looking anyway better, but least I did not write whole lot this time =P
    HakureiUrODelAKyleKatarn
  • DandareDandare
    edited November 7, 2016
    2 remaining 'insights' still put on hold. I would for example try out the "second leg placed under butt' thing in case of Halloween Lumos case.

A mysterious soft Yuri piece is also in baking... I in fct plan on incorporating something from Masamun Shirow "Greaseberries" or "Pieces".... all who know those probably guessed right that my biggest dilemma is to find anything below R18 as reference (or at least something I can 'make' below R18 ^_^;). Second dilemma is adjusting it to my own style. I would also probably incorporate 1st Lumos fanart clothing and original Maven suit from game. Using existing designs will cut on time needed :)

And for now, I'm SUPER HAPPY to share:

Raziel- Motoko Kusanagi
    'Arise' series cosplay
    In Color

My biggest hope is that Raziel will like it. My second biggest hope is that my fans will like it. And my third biggest hope is that all colorings will be just as much enjoyable to make :)
    HakureiMorky2016UrODelAKyleKatarn
  • DandareDandare
    edited November 9, 2016
    Another day another doodle piece done :D

But before that I must say big thanks to @UrODelA - it's always big joy to see someone enjoy my work =D

Of course also thanks to @Morky2016 and definitely thanks to @Hakurei, but seeing that Ur enjoyed even my boorish insight posts on references I used fills my heart with joy. Well without further ado:

Koryou - Motoko Kusanagi
    "1995" cosplay
    In Color

Hope You guys like it! As I'v mentioned: 1995 version was 1st I saw and probably will remain my favorite. Though we all know it's not most well known, right ;)

More to come, in insight posts, colored posts, newly discussed Lumos's fanart *wink wink + evil snickering* and possibly more!
    Stay tuned !
    HakureiMorky2016UrODelAKyleKatarn
  • UrODelAUrODelA
    First Assault Rep: 3,310
    edited November 10, 2016
    ...even though i am absent from the game & community stream for now; it's a delight to follow your thread. It truly is the full package ( art & story + artist commentary) - thank you @Dandare ! ^^

Dandare
  • DandareDandare
    edited November 11, 2016
    ^^^^^
    THIS
    Is most encouraging reason I could wish for to continue on this topic and project as whole!
    THANKS XD

So on the good news: the coloring caught up with insight posts. Sadly it would mean more text despite colored picture post. Well it was something I actually predicted as coloring linearts mostly takes half of time compared to making them.

Lumos - Motoko Kusanagi
    ' S. A. C.' Cosplay
    In Color

Character insight:
    If You'r on this forum, and You don't know who she is: You must b doing something wrong.

I've decided for our dear community managaer that the most iconic attire would be perfect match. Actually there was a chance for Mateba appearing as it is both iconic and her favorite gun! Well ... but it was here already, in previous fanart starring Lumos. The most enjoyable thing is that most of community immediately knows this character is Lumos! I guess I did well on design then :D

I would say there is not much more to say, anyone should just seriously join one of Friday community streams. JUST DO IT!

References insight:

Well... S.A.C. version is undeniably a most well known version of Motoko's costume. I might only wonder if it had anything to do with being most racy one XD.

The only other remaining but equally obvious reference would be the little Tachikoma.

Timeframe:
    Reference gathering: 10min tops - S.A.C. is most perverted and thus most popular version of Motoko's attire! Internet is bursting with images of it: original and fanart alike.
    Pose and proportion sketches: Darn... considering additional 30min yesterday... 3 and half hour? I had to use help of sister for it paying with pringless.
    Detail design pencil sketch: 2 and half hour. Like most for anime designs it was not extremely detailed.
    Inking: 2 hours
    Total: 7 and half hour
    --------------------------
    Digital coloring: 3 and half hour
    Morky2016HakureiVenkmanUrODelAKodaiganKyleKatarnManiacBatou
  • LumosNXALumosNXA
    First Assault Rep: 16,445
    Member, Administrator
    edited November 15, 2016
    T___T I'm so honored!!! I love it! <3
    DandareVenkmanKyleKatarn
  • DandareDandare
    edited November 22, 2016
    LumosNXA
    LumosNXA said:

T___T I'm so honored!!! I love it! <3</p>

4th comment of our 'Mistress of Community" !

I'm super glad You actually liked it Lumos ^_^ !
    It's not as detailed as 1st fanart including Your character but - hey, it's 'iconic' cosplay =D

That being said: with weekend long delay I present You with:

I truly hop You guys like the design! It took about twice the time I thought it would to color this thing up. To speak about lore regarding this little piece of mine:

MSDF Type 303 Custom - "Gashadokuro" - aside from vehicles is the heaviest thing available in Unit 6 arsenal. Being custom variation of standard MSDF Type 303 armored suit it might be recognizable but same time it's quite unique. Aside from it's looks (on which I'll inquire in a moment) the main differences would be that:
    -It is exclusively modified for CQC (close quarter combat) - which is unheard of for regular troops using similar suits (like JSDF and Umibozu)
    -It's internal control structure allows it to be operated without need of pilot with cyber-brain.

Both traces are connected to it's (soon to be introduced) pilot - Frank Foley. The unique close encounter armament was mainly focused of his previous time experience as the guy is 40+ y.o. veteran of both 3rd and 4th World war. Now to remember - while Type 303 was not developed around those times the armored suits in general weren't by any means exclusive to Japan in GitS lore continuity. Other countries especially in USA and Europe surely developed own not only as armament but to deal with things like nuclear fallout. Considering their resources were scarce it would make a sense to try encourage economic approach. Thus most probably a close combat modules were developed to not only fight potential post nuclear monstrosities (alas even though they're not GitS thing - I hope some were developed as military project) but to conserve precious resources needed to make an ammo. Furthermore in 4th WW around Siamese Peninsula we come into guerrilla jungle warfare where the guns are not always as useful as in the open. Thus usage of means like flamethrowers (although not nice) is tactically often holding more of a potential.
    The fact of Gashadokuro not requiring a pilot with cyber-brain is dictated by fact that Frank does not have one. Rare as it would be (especially for elite soldier) he is 100% organic human. In some terms we can argue that due to this his operating skills are inferior to pilots able to plug directly into the suit but it also haves advantages. Being intentionally made a 'closed system' (no outside communication protocols) this particular suit is virtually unhackable.

Now onto the looks:
    Both it's name and fact of incorporating skeleton face instead of more regular face-guard are thanks to earlier introduced member of Unit 6 - Tabitha. Being a person with uncanny know-how in mechanics and someone with unhealthy hype about Japanese folklore she modified this suit prior to appearance of Frank himself. Even though - he liked changes and left them as they were. Surely they add some 'uniqueness' and fear factor :3

Weaponry:

Right 'big arm' is modified into European style exosuit arm referred to as 'Stomatopod arm". This particular one features 150cm long blade with aggregated diamond nanorod edge. It can cut through most of (even military) human-sized cyborgs and androids as through butter and possibly hold enough cutting power to cut limbs of other Type 303 suits. Downside however is that operating it well is extremely hard and requires long training and practice.

Left 'big arm' features a custom advanced flamethrower capable of generating flame hot enough to be used against small armored vehicles. Still it depletes quite quickly.

Trivia:

"Stomatopod arm" was inspired by industrial robot arm from Isao Machii's duel in Katana cutting:
    Samurai VS Machine
    HakureiMorky2016VenkmanKyleKatarnUrODelA
  • VenkmanVenkman
    edited November 22, 2016
    DAAAAMN he looks B.A. !
    Dandare
  • DandareDandare
    edited November 28, 2016
    Thanks @Venkman ! That is pretty much reaction I wish to see/hear on Gashadokuro :3 !

Well with the last post I've ended my encroaching attempt of making an otherwise shabby Hallown Contst pieces last 20% (claimed by experts!) more appealing. So what next? RETURN TO ORIGIN! Yup the older linearts receive now coloring therapy while the male members of Unit 6 designs are in dark depths of my home's work-desk (lol no worries - coming soon). I've began with the most complex, most sophisticated and most 'mine' (as pretty much whole gear was from scratch imagined) piece.

Orithyia

Since her character backstory was pretty much covered on lineart post... what to write? Oh! I know! The gear! =D

The main concept of the suit was to make it a 'stat of art' technology way ahead of time compared to regular things in GitS universe. Despite being rather tight it is in fact closer to Armor Suit than regular protective gear. Rason to this is mainly a multitude of servomotor mechanisms which enhance not only physical strength but also speed of Orithyia to levels where she could probably arm-wrestle a full cyborg and in most cases win. Of course this comes with a massive strain on ones body and her own physique must be in tops condition to make a fullest use of it. The suit itself takes a good care of that as it monitors her condition in real-time and is capable of applying various drugs either via local application or by administration to bloodstream. Variety is very advanced and in case of penetration not only painkillers will be applied but also a substance which is basically way more advanced Vetigel* which would stop bleeding almost instantly. Same time Orithyia caries around few vials of nanobots which are equipped with resources and programmed to reconstruct damaged parts of suit in seconds if needed. All that combined means that while in suit she possesses abilities akin to regeneration allowing her to operate even after sustaining serious beating. Mind however that in case of her boy it is NOT regeneration and it is more like concept of Berserk armor from (you guessed it) Berserk where even severely wounded user would be able to operate on (or beyond) full capacity but would suffer results later on. The last but not least is A.W.C.S. (Advanced Warfare Camouflage System) which is in fact an upgrade of regular camo of GitS. Why advanced? For instance it includes an active cooling mechanisms rendering users infrared spectrum blending with surroundings** (so no Therm-optic targeting Saito :P !)

There is more info on the spear, grenades, throwing knives etc... buuut let's not make it a wall of text worthy competing with wall of China XD

So on end note I would say that THIS particular art is meant to be a one side of my future Roll-up for convention purposes so... yup nearly real-life sized Orithyia will be promoting my table on conventions :3 (hype is real) I hope You guys enjoy :D !

Trivia:
    *Vetigel is a real cool thing! -
    **Much like Batman's exo-suit in Batman Versus Predator III

FUNNY SCIENCE FACT EDIT!
    The concept of spear tip mechanism containing the Microtech Jagdkommando Tri- Dagger was meant to hold two quite regular mechanisms. Rotation mechanism with 6000RPM speed (bit more than nowadays industrial drills which top in 5000RPM mostly). And 'last resort' shooting mechanism able to launch a still rotating dagger.

I've put the stats of dagger into Impact calculator. I meant it's mechanism to not be too OP and unrealistic and since the dagger itself wears 680gr in original and 1120gr in my design (due to use of heavier but way more durable alloys) so I decided upon standard .45 bullet velocity.

After putting it through a ballistic calculator for measuring impact power in point blank range it appears it'll produce nearly:
    4000 Joules on point blanc impact!

To put it into perspective: same zero distance impact power haves .300 Remington Ultra Magnum ammo. Which is used in long distance Sniper Rifles and some stronger type Assault Rifles. And this does not take into account rotation which would add penetration power.

Since 'ammo' is that heavy however it'll loose velocity very quickly and I assume effective range being around 20-30 meters only (rough math) before trajectory gets messy. But nonetheless in CQC range it is a freaking 'bunker round' to say the least! Most human sized enemies would be send back flying and in case of hitting limbs it haves good chance to tear them off @_@
    HakureiKyleKatarnKodaiganVenkmanMorky2016UrODelA
  • KodaiganKodaigan
    Member+
    edited November 28, 2016

I like what I see.
    Dandare
  • DandareDandare
    edited November 29, 2016

FOR
    123 LIKES!

And 1400+ topic views... out of which I swear least 300 are mine so it does not count really XD

Special thanks to @Morky2016 , @Hakurei , @Venkman , @UrODelA , @Kodaigan , @KyleKatarn and of course @LumosNXA. Your continuous support by posts and likes keeps my motivation afloat as the time-schedule is ever-tight right now. Good thing is that more things are coming soon. Most probably the 1st one would be Tabitha colored art and then Frank Foley lineart design. I swear I never wished for assistant as much as these days =P

Anyway: once again thanks and sorry for this off-topic, but it's cool to see that my fanarting is popular on game forum :). Meantime the last art of Orithyia officially overtaken the Gashadokuro having 77 likes along all my galleries +forum here (compared to Gashadokuro's 61 likes). I can only guess the reasons ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    VenkmanKyleKatarnKodaiganUrODelA
  • VenkmanVenkman
    edited November 29, 2016
    @Dandare you are very welcome! :) Your work, dedication, and diligence to your artistic craft is undeniable. Keep up the great work, I always love to see your updates and little backstories and such :) Hope all is going well and you are not too busy with things and such, don't forget to take some time for yourself too! ;)
    Dandare