LAG - definitions and guide

AnduAndu
First Assault Rep: 4,120
Member+
edited December 4, 2016 in Game Guides
1. LAG - game definition: Its a situation between two or more players when players see every change in game delayed to the server state. Lag may be noticeable or unnoticeable. Noticeable lag is where you see every effect of your action is delayed - for example skill activation, enemy death, froozen players, or players running into wall. You may also notice stutters, teleportation and other kind of strange things.

2. Kind of lags:

A. Players computer related
- input lag - that lag is related to the hardware that player is using especially to the I/O devices. On input lag mostly influences monitor that displays the current image of the match - most of the TV display computer image slightly delayed, monitors are better in displaying real time image than image.

Input lag on monitor is related to GFX card and its drivers and also to CPU and motherboard. On the extreme situations on the highest resolutions you may notice that your mouse movement or keyboard input is delayed sometimes even 0,5 seconds. Thats a sign that you set too high resolution or the hardware is too weak for this game. That might be caused also by wrong drivers installed. The less related hardware to input lags are: mouse and keyboard. There are special gaming mice and keyboards that have lowest input lags.

- FPS lag - that lag is mostly based on Vertical Synchronisation of your GPU. Mostly monitors have 60Hz display so it can display up to 60 changes per second - so that there is function Vertical Sync that locks the GPU on producing up to 60 frames per second to prevent "Screen tearing" - setting Vsync may influence on input lag because you loss a lot of FPS'es so you dont notice slight changes between your monitor can display and the GPU can produce. You may turn it off and see the enemiest slightly early than if vsync is on but you see also the tearing effect.

Modern GFX cards have multiple functions that can adjust and reduce tearing effect such as G-Sync of Free Sync, but you have to have also monitor that will support that functions. New Gaming monitors have more than 60Hz display there are 120, 144 or even 160 Hz monitors so that you may have more FPS - game will run smother and youll see everything faster - so your in game performance will surely increase because you may see enemy few frames faster to react.

B. Network related
a) Network lag
- Server sided network lag - it happens on the network of server - every player will notice the delays of the gameplay - every player high ping to the server both: in game and outside the game (ping to the server IP) - (you can do nothing just open support ticket or inform at forum)
- Client sided network lag - it happens on the network of player - only the player that is on this network will notice delays to the server, every other players wont be affected - only player on that network will have high ping to the server both: in game and outside the game (ping to the server IP) (you may inform your ISP about problems, you may also try to tweak your system settigs and turn off every network software to reduce http://forums.firstassault.nexon.net/discussion/4124/reducing-your-latency#latest)
- network in the middle - it happens between some of the players and server - some players might be affected, some not - some player high ping to the server both: in game and outside the game (ping to the server IP) (you may ask your ISP if he can fix it, mostly it requires change the route or escalate issue report by ISP to the delayed peering network, but they mostly dont bother about 1 unhappy user to take any action)

b) packet loss - situation when some packets between you and server wont reach the target, as the game is on TCP - then packets are sending untill they are succesfully sent to the destination. In game that might be seen as affected player will run through the wall or moving then teleporting back few steps, that player may be disconected from the server. He will mostly lose a lot of deaths because he is a easy taget to be killed because he lose controll under operative every each packet lost.

C. Net Code related
- server side lag - that happens on the server application, every request from/to server are delayed by processing because of application server load or because of lack of optimalisation - in game ping seems to be fine but your ping to the ip addres might to be higher. And you feels like everything is delayed - your kills, pop up's (about killing, asisting etc), you feel like you were tracked before you appeared on the place.

- client side lag - same to the server side with the one difference of processing data thats going from/to server by client - its mostly because of lack of client optimalisation.

D. Combination of B. and C.
- lag between two players

How it looks like:

skip to 2:18
ShagmeisterOGP4prik4TylerCManiacBatouiiShan

Comments

• LAMBDA471LAMBDA471
    First Assault Rep: 8,550
    Member+
    edited November 13, 2016
    I didn't even knew that monitors can cause lag. I thought they displayed what's happening without any delay. O_O
  • AnduAndu
    Member+
    edited November 13, 2016
    As you can see at the first video you can have some delay in view.
  • AnduAndu
    Member+
    edited December 4, 2016
    Lags - profits and losses

losses - if you have lag and running in front of enemy from one side of map to another - you can be killed even if you reach cover, enemy who appear will kill you before you even see him
    conclusion - make sure if you clean all of the enemies before you run to the other side of map, dont stay too much at the same place because finally somebody will take you down before you even can see him - do some strafe movements if your'e behind the cover

profits - if you have lag and you running you can kill enemies behind the cover because they wont see you appearing because of your lag
    conclusion - dont slow down - run and clean everything you see, keep running - its your the only one option to win.
  • GoritudeGoritude
    First Assault Rep: 665
    edited February 20
    You forgot the most important point: to avoid (network) lag, don't use Wifi.
  • AlmalexionAlmalexion
    First Assault Rep: 1,735
    edited February 20
    I actually somehow prefer that server automaticly kicks the players who's on yellow zone too much like half a minute, and automaticly pulls the players ms to optimal ms, like 70's to 50's and 10's & 30's to 50's. Maybe, in theoritically, if people stands on the same ms, everybody feels no delay, and that'll be able to create an ideal situation for seeing the game from the servers eyes. Because, i think server tries to optimize it's netcode to the highes pinged player and that creates a worst situation for the lowes pinged players. It's not nice to empty a magazine or hearing a shotgun hit after 1 second in point blank shot to a player for only get at least a 3 or one registered bullet hits and killing. Because everytime a lagged player leaves, hit registers feels like turned to normal and acceptible level... These are my opinion...
  • AnduAndu
    Member+
    edited February 21
    Well ping indicator doesnt show anything real. I personally have 15-18ms but ... sometimes on even 15ms im having delays like i had 300ms or more I mean enemies reaction is too fast to be real (they see me much early than i see them). Watching some gameplays of players with 50-70ms I can see they have no delay like i have. So dont even look at ping.
    My ISP in my region have the lowest ping results but I think there is another issue.
    When Im watching stream and playing or even having Discord on ping doesnt change but gameplay seems to be delayed.
  • kusanagi9273346kusanagi9273346
    First Assault Rep: 840
    edited February 21
    don't forget you can get a cheap fsync 1080p 75hz monitor for an amd cards. im an nvidia user but have G2260VWQ6 AOC monitor for the 75hz. its as cheap as a ips panels but gives significant advantage over normal 60hz tn's/ips.
    p.s. if u go from 1-2ms response time screen of 60 hz to 75hz 1ms then compare both to 144hz monitors ull see significant difference of recognising laggers too.
    simplier, as higher refresh rate of monitor supported as more responsive your mouse is which allows u smoothen your gameplay and make the gaming experience better. it also gives advantage recognising ping laggers. they can claim not lagging but the user of 75/144/240hz monitor will be able see you teleporting easier than someone using 60hz screens. also the fsync/gsync reduces mouse lag input also a little bit.
    p.s. if fps are lower than the monitor's refresh rate you;ll also suffer from screen tearing.
  • AnduAndu
    Member+
    edited February 22
    Well Im going to replace my current 60hz old LG monitor to brand new 144hz WQHD, QHD 144 hz not yet exist because of limitation of displayport /DVI - that cant sent more than WQHD @160hz if I recall correctly.
  • LyhLyh
    First Assault Rep: 680
    edited February 22
    So this is a thing people strife for to get... ?
  • MrDeapMrDeap
    First Assault Rep: 870
    edited March 25
    I can share a bit, with few test.

Peek advantage

How to gain advantage in shooting. Easier with high ping disparity.