edited November 13, 2016 in Anime/Manga Chat
HakureiP4prik4kmlupin

Comments

• P4prik4P4prik4
    First Assault Rep: 2,855
    edited November 13, 2016
    that's a pretty big twist.
    when the guy says "they did not save your life they stole it."
    then again that's what you would expect to hear a bad guy say, to try and mess with her head.
    I was never under impression that motoko was in s9 out of anything but her own choosing.
    In fact aramaki says to motoko at end of sac that s9 will continue as long as both he and her wish to continue on with it. But this isn't based on SAC right.

I hope they touch on the importance of memory in the series. how memory is what defines us.
    scarlet johanson has played many rolls that touch on memory in the past as well.
    Kawaccino
  • UrODelAUrODelA
    First Assault Rep: 3,310
    edited November 13, 2016
    first of all, i like the visual language that is presented here!

...but:

did they really switch the majors existential crisis for memory loss?
    do they imply, that Batou gets his eyes in the process of the movie, not in the past as a 'ranger mod' ?
    KyleKatarnKawaccino
  • LouiselotteLouiselotte
    First Assault Rep: 6,610
    edited November 13, 2016
    Also the shelling sequence: http://www.ign.com/videos/2016/11/13/ghost-in-the-shell-2017-shelling-sequence

Just as weird and uncomfortable as I remember it.
  • CusashornCusashorn
    First Assault Rep: 6,990
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited November 13, 2016
    P4prik4
    P4prik4 said:

that's a pretty big twist.
    when the guy says "they did not save your life they stole it."
    then again that's what you would expect to hear a bad guy say, to try and mess with her head.
    I was never under impression that motoko was in s9 out of anything but her own choosing.
    In fact aramaki says to motoko at end of sac that s9 will continue as long as both he and her wish to continue on with it. But this isn't based on SAC right.

a few times she ponders exiting her shell, when she's underwater for so long.

I hope they touch on the importance of memory in the series. how memory is what defines us.
    scarlet johanson has played many rolls that touch on memory in the past as well.
    Indentured Servitude is a focused theme from the first episode of Arise, and it's prevalent in the rest of the franchise. The original Mamoru Oshii movies has Motoko mention that they bodies they use is pretty much owned by the governments, and similar comments are made in the manga. This is nothing new for the franchise.

What IS new, however, is showing Batou without his prosthetic eyes. We're clearly going to see him get upgraded, but we don't know the reason why yet.

That was the Laughing Man / Kuze at the end of the trailer there. They combined both characters to be the same in this movie, and that's actually OK since they're not following any one iteration of the franchise.
    KyleKatarn
  • SteveDinoSteveDino
    First Assault Rep: 1,755
    Member+
    edited November 13, 2016
    I just really hope they have a think tank in this movie.
  • LouiselotteLouiselotte
    First Assault Rep: 6,610
    edited November 13, 2016
    My biggest gripe is Scar Jo's voice as The Major. She sounds way too timid and uncertain, even in the classic rooftop dive scene. The Major always seemed confident and professional, and I think they're plugging the "tortured past" idea maybe a bit much.
  • CusashornCusashorn
    First Assault Rep: 6,990
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited November 13, 2016
    SteveDino
    SteveDino said:

There will not be any Tachikomas/Fuchikomas/Uchikomas/Logicomas or other think tanks employed by Section 9 in the movie. the creators said it would detract from the story they're trying to focus on.

Buuuuuut, they also said there will be a tank...
    KyleKatarn
  • KusanagiKusanagi
    First Assault Rep: 1,915
    edited November 13, 2016
    Cusashorn
    Cusashorn said:

SteveDino
    SteveDino said:

Buuuuuut, they also said there will be a tank...
    Yeah its the tank from the end of GITS 1995. The one the Major rips her arm off trying to open the hatch.
  • VenkmanVenkman
    First Assault Rep: 7,360
    Member, Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited November 14, 2016
    2 things I like from this trailer.

1) The music, which has nothing to do with anything.... :(
    2) It looks like (outside of the eyes) they may have nailed Batou
  • KawaccinoKawaccino
    First Assault Rep: 1,660
    Member+
    edited November 23, 2016
    Louiselotte

Also the shelling sequence: http://www.ign.com/videos/2016/11/13/ghost-in-the-shell-2017-shelling-sequence

Just as weird and uncomfortable as I remember it.
    I find this scene disturbingly fascinating.
    Louiselotte

My biggest gripe is Scar Jo's voice as The Major. She sounds way too timid and uncertain, even in the classic rooftop dive scene. The Major always seemed confident and professional, and I think they're plugging the "tortured past" idea maybe a bit much.
    Would have love them to use the same voice as the one in the game. I don't have anything against Scar'Jo' voice, but... yeah, as you said, way too timid.
  • MidlordMidlord
    First Assault Rep: 4,265
    Member+
    edited January 8
    Finally got around to watch it. It's not that it has won me over, but it looks like it can turn out to be a good movie. I'm no longer pessimistic. Not a fan of the scene that looks like a ripoff of Matrix, but I guess it's not out of place.
  • MidlordMidlord
    First Assault Rep: 4,265
    Member+
    edited February 1
    I finally saw the original 1995 movie. That fight scene in the pond is directly taken from there.
    UrODelA
  • VenkmanVenkman
    edited February 2
    Word is new trailers are supposed to drop during Super Bowl.
  • VenkmanVenkman
    edited February 2
    Well... here it is!

ign.com/videos/2017/02/02/ghost-in-the-shell-big-game-30-tv-spot

Loving Batou at the moment <3