Deluxe Edtion

Einhander2501Einhander2501
First Assault Rep: 605
edited March 4 in Anime/Manga Chat
has anyone picked up the re-release manga?
https://www.amazon.com/Ghost-Shell-1-Deluxe/dp/1632364212

Comments

• LaughingFoxLaughingFox
    First Assault Rep: 1,940
    Member+
    edited March 12
    Yep, very pleased with it so far. It's got a bunch of new colour pages and author annotations. Also some more complete edits and the odd bit added in. Really pleased with the quality of it too, feels more like a proper collectors piece than a typical manga volume. Still chunking through the read but apart from the *censorship* ie removal of the sex scene (which was like 2 pages and done at the authors request). This is the most complete edition of the GITS manga available.

-LF
    Einhander2501Venkman
  • Einhander2501Einhander2501
    First Assault Rep: 605
    edited March 13
    i picked up the ghost in the shell 2 deluxe at barnes and nobles while it was the last copy i found the other day. about the censorship that i understand from the request, shirow masamune stated that he resfuses to release the sex scene for controversial reasons if im not mistaken for that. if you ever look it up from the reason why.
  • CybernautCybernaut
    First Assault Rep: 990
    edited April 11
    I'm not real impressed with the collection. It's a nice hardcover, don't get me wrong, but I had hoped for more.

The translation is carried over from the Dark Horse Comics release. Unless you're a stickler for the left-to-right format, love the idea of a few more pages of colour, or are just a collector that's got to have 'em all, there's really nothing new here.

I don't like the annotations crammed onto the bottoms of the pages in small text. The appendix of four pages of translated sound effects in tiny text seems silly, like they're really stretching to provide something new.

The afterward from Shirow is from...1991. I was disappointed with that. I really thought a new edition would include some sort of retrospective from the author. I know a lot of folks probably don't bother reading forewords/afterwords, but I enjoy them.

As to the omitted content, it is what it is. If Shirow wants to "George Lucas" his work, that's his call. He created it. Including it is the one thing that would have made this edition noteworthy. Shirow could have discussed the content in a forword/afterword. Hey, that would have all worked out nicely!

All in all, it's a nice edition, but not essential if you already own another edition, IMO.
    Einhander2501
  • GitSFMGitSFM
    First Assault Rep: 795
    edited May 20
    Cybernaut wrote: »
    As to the omitted content, it is what it is. If Shirow wants to "George Lucas" his work, that's his call. He created it. Including it is the one thing that would have made this edition noteworthy. Shirow could have discussed the content in a forword/afterword. Hey, that would have all worked out nicely!

All in all, it's a nice edition, but not essential if you already own another edition, IMO.

At this point I don't think Shirow cares. He just counts all that cash he made from GITS license and character designs for vidya games and draws oily girls with horses.